banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tele bridges: 6-saddles vs 3-compensated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele bridges: 6-saddles vs 3-compensated?

I hope I'm not bugging everyone with my Tele questions. I'm just trying to gather the last pieces so I can get my Brent Mason-esque Tele together. The last decision is the bridge. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the Hipshot, and probably the "lefty." But I'm not sure what the significance of 6-saddles vs 3 compensated is. And I'm not even sure I can go the 3C route as that bridge is about 1/2" shorter. (At the rear only, where it may not matter.)

Are the 3 compensated just for vintage correctness? Or is there other reasons?

Thanks all. Again.

I've had both. Currently have compensated. Intonation requires a little compromise. Not a lot. But a little.

They look effing baller, though.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
      They look effing baller, though.
      Is that an industry tech term?

Comment

Compensated is for vintage looks and if you think you can hear the slight difference (which some people can) -it's not better or worse sounding though -just more tonally correct if your trying to get a classic players tone -like Joe Strummer or Keith Richards.

I would go with modern 6 saddle. better in every way measurable for a guitar player. Screw trying to chase vintage ghosts.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

3-saddle is reputed to be more authentic and twangier, because the downward force is distributed over only six screws instead of 12, giving better coupling from the saddles to the bridge plate and body. YMMV.

My favorite Tele bridge is the Wilkinson compensated 3-saddle, a well-made piece and a bargain to boot. The intonation is a bit of a compromise on a strobe tuner, but it's nothing you can hear.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Ok guys. I think you've answered my question. This Tele is so far removed from being vintage that I'll probably stick with the 6 saddles. Besides, that will allow me to play with some Graph Tech saddles. Maybe even the Graph Tech Ghost system to effectively add a 4th pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              Ok guys. I think you've answered my question. This Tele is so far removed from being vintage that I'll probably stick with the 6 saddles. Besides, that will allow me to play with some Graph Tech saddles. Maybe even the Graph Tech Ghost system to effectively add a 4th pickup.
              I run graph tech saddle and nut on my Tele with 6 saddle bridge. its rock solid on intonation and even traveling with it. -it's been all over the place.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

ghost saddles for the win

EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, individual saddles are far superior. I forgot to say that part before.
                  ---------------------------
                  The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm one step closer now.

Comment

Brent Mason uses a 6 saddle bridge.

I've been toying with the idea of swapping the modern bridge on my Tele Plus for a vintage style, but if I do that, I'll want to swap the tuners for vintage style, then I'll have a vintage Tele with Lace Sensor pickups... seems kind of silly. Rather, I'm gonna go more vintagey on Tele #2, which will be topped off with the Fluence Greg Koch pickups. Yeah, active pickups on a vintage Tele makes no sense, right? Greg's pickups are voiced to sound like a black guard one one setting, then a white guard on the other.

Keep it going with all the Tele stuff. I'm deep in it myself, and enjoy the deliberation.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Always 6-saddle for me. I think 3-saddle bridges are too much of a compromise in terms of intonation and action.

Comment

3 saddles, even the compensated ones are a compromise for intonation, but not action... not sure why that would be, both sides are adjustable

Comment

I think that high-quality, 3-saddles, look badass. I realize that's the worst reason for considering them . . . but there it is. Gotoh has some Titanium ones that are cool.

(And expensive.)

Comment

brass, steal, and im sure titanium sound different. never tried titanium but id assume it would have a clear focused tone

Comment

Working...
                              X