banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have Schaller M6 Tuners (non-locking) always been $$$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have Schaller M6 Tuners (non-locking) always been $$$?

Planning on a build and Schaller is my go-to brand for high quality hardware. Holy crap, have M6 and Minis always been $110+ I thought they used to be ~$60?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I usually think of $55-65 being the going rate for solid tuners. If they are really that much I would look into the Gotoh variants.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Schaller hardware has always been pretty expensive outside of the EU. I'll offer a +1 to The Dali's Gotoh recommendation. Their SG38/SG380 tuners are pretty equivalent to Schaller M6s. I'm not familiar with the 510 series tuners, but they have an excellent reputation as well.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The German made ones are really expensive and super nice.... from memory the non locker MIG Sperzells use to hover around 60-80 -20years ago -I could be wrong.

I was in Amsterdam and Germany and went into several places that has NOS Schaller stuff for cheap -should have bought a few packs if they are in the 120s now.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The Schallers are very well made, but also heavy. That might be an issue if you are worried about balance.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Are Gotoh 510s the “standard” version? I’m speccing out a neck and don’t want to have to ream out holes. Schaller is 10mm and I’m glad I checked prices....
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              Are Gotoh 510s the “standard” version? I’m speccing out a neck and don’t want to have to ream out holes. Schaller is 10mm and I’m glad I checked prices....
              The 510 series is their higher end modern line, the SG38 / SG380 is their M6 direct replacement. That being said, all of Gotoh's non-vintage tuners use 10mm holes.
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

What would you get on a Jackson or Fender Custom Shop level instrument? (modern style, not vintage)
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

The 510 series is their higher end modern line, the SG38 / SG380 is their M6 direct replacement. That being said, all of Gotoh's non-vintage tuners use 10mm holes.
                  Awesome, those look great.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What would you get on a Jackson or Fender Custom Shop level instrument? (modern style, not vintage)
                    I'm not sure if they still are, but Gotoh SG38s were standard on USA Jacksons for years.

Comment

I have a set of Schaller tuners with black plastic bodies and pearl knobs that I have had unused since the late 80's.

Comment

They did improve the design of M6's not too long ago. I don't think they used to be 18:1 ratio before. They now are.

I just dropped a set of locking M6's in my EX-401, and they're definitely an improvement over the Grovers that used to be there.

That being said, standard Gotohs are also an upgrade over Grovers. Not that Grovers are bad, but Gotohs are great.

Gotoh 510's are even better than Schaller, IMO. Especially the 21:1 ratio ones. They're every bit as pricey, though. And the pear-shaped buttons are pretty ugly, IMO. You can get them with different buttons if you order from the right place, though.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                          I have a set of Schaller tuners with black plastic bodies and pearl knobs that I have had unused since the late 80's.
                          Any interest in selling if I go down a black/Pearl path?

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                          They did improve the design of M6's not too long ago. I don't think they used to be 18:1 ratio before. They now are.

I just dropped a set of locking M6's in my EX-401, and they're definitely an improvement over the Grovers that used to be there.

That being said, standard Gotohs are also an upgrade over Grovers. Not that Grovers are bad, but Gotohs are great.

Gotoh 510's are even better than Schaller, IMO. Especially the 21:1 ratio ones. They're every bit as pricey, though. And the pear-shaped buttons are pretty ugly, IMO. You can get them with different buttons if you order from the right place, though.
                          Thanks for the info. All are 10mm, right?
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Gibson used them for awhile on L6-S stuff. You wanna sell 'em?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Any interest in selling if I go down a black/Pearl path?

Thanks for the info. All are 10mm, right?
                              Yes I could sell them because I don't believe I will ever use them.

Comment

Working...
                              X