banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiesel is dropping the Iconic traditioal DC Super strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
    dc600 has been 25.5" for over a decade now, but all the others in that line were 25" like the st300/JB models.
    I love the look of a classic dc with fully rounded edges, but the 600 had a slightly different shape (wannabe ibby) that did not look good standard or rounded IMO..

Seems like it's the shorter scale they are ditching. The Aries (a Kiesel design) is now offered in neck-thru and bolt-on, but both are 25.5" with an optional 26.5".
    I actually really like the Aries model without the extra beveling, and it can be done like that for no up-charge, at least on the bolt-on it can, maybe not the neck-thru (?).
    Prices have went up, but some things are standard now instead of up-charged,,,,,,like stainless frets.

I wonder how long their deal with JB is. (?) That is the best shape (body+head combo) of any classic Carvin design IMO.
    As long as they still make the Becker model I would assume they will do a custom st300 build, although I'm sure the price would end-up much higher than when it was a standard. Those might be the only 25" they have going forward.
    I didn’t know you could get the Aires without the beveled forearm shape....I’m not a big fan of that look especially when it’s finished in a different color etc...

Comment

They finally came out with a headless with 22 frets, but like I said, I ain't paying for a new Kiesel, since there is not a single one I've tried (and I tried the best of the best NAMM Showpieces) was remarkable. And at those prices, forget it. I suppose if you just play super high gain stuff all the time, it might not matter. But Carvin used to have guitars suitable for every style. I don't think that is the case anymore.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

There are SO MANY super Strat makers out there, I can understand Kiesel's thinking here. The market is saturated, and we are headed in a different direction. Power to 'em, I say.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

They're only dropping the DC127. The DC600, JB, Aries neck-through, Aries bolt-on, Delos, and Theos will remain available. I think six superstrat models should be enough for almost anyone. (EDIT: Forgot about the K series. Make that seven superstrat models.)

I wonder how long their deal with JB is. (?) That is the best shape (body+head combo) of any classic Carvin design IMO.
          As long as they still make the Becker model I would assume they will do a custom st300 build, although I'm sure the price would end-up much higher than when it was a standard. Those might be the only 25" they have going forward.
          The Ultra V, V220, CT, CS, and SCB are all still 25".

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
            They're only dropping the DC127. The DC600, JB, Aries neck-through, Aries bolt-on, Delos, and Theos will remain available. I think six superstrat models should be enough for almost anyone. (EDIT: Forgot about the K series. Make that seven superstrat models.)

The Ultra V, V220, CT, CS, and SCB are all still 25".
            OK I see that now. So it looks like they are indeed just narrowing the field of superstrats.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I didn’t know you could get the Aires without the beveled forearm shape....I’m not a big fan of that look especially when it’s finished in a different color etc...
              It's on the builder for the bolt-on Aries, as well as the 22 fret option, and both are no up-charge at all.
              I don't see either of those choices on the neck-thru Aries builder.
              They do still have a standard small forearm and belly bevel, but not those huge cosmetic bevels.

Comment

It's on the builder for the bolt-on Aries, as well as the 22 fret option, and both are no up-charge at all.
                I don't see either of those choices on the neck-thru Aries builder.
                I'm pretty sure an Aries neck-through without the bevel is just a DC600.

Comment

Kiesel got tired cause Carvin/ Kiesel never seem to become mainstream among pro players. Yeah there are a number of endorsers like Craig Chaquico, Macalpine, Frank Gambale but the brand is not the first that comes to mind when thinking about buying quality guitar. Probably distribution problem? They sell direct, do they not?

Back in the day it was the only company that let me build a 'custom' guitar when the title 'custom' still carries a lot of weight, for 500 dollars, seriously: neck-thru, USA made, OFR, Sperzel locking tuners, pickups with 11 pole pieces (they said it ensured no signal drop...really?), and they even let me have my name engraved on the truss rod cover. But the body was poplar ( like I cared) and the waiting time was 3 months so I passed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                    I'm pretty sure an Aries neck-through without the bevel is just a DC600.
                    Here I thought I didn't like the dc600 shape lol. It must just be that newer head that came out with the Aries that makes it work for me.
                    I had never seen a dc600 with the straighter (new) inline 6 (tuners on top). I've always thought the dc600 looked "off" with all their older head choices.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Cynical.

Comment

Here I thought I didn't like the dc600 shape lol. It must just be that newer head that came out with the Aries that makes it work for me.
                      I had never seen a dc600 with the straighter (new) inline 6 (tuners on top). I've always thought the dc600 looked "off" with all their older head choices.

Thanks for pointing that out to me Cynical.
                      When you say the "newer" headstock, do you mean this one?:

For what it's worth, they've changed the shape of the DC600 a few times over the years. When they introduced 8 string and multiscale guitars, they made the upper horn on those longer and more Aries-like to combat the neck dive, and then they moved the change back to the 6 string ones.

Comment

^^^ Yes that is the headstock I like best with that body shape. I'd probably call it the Kiesel inline-6.

Ah OK that might be why I didn't like the dc600 shape before. They also used to do the edges with a smaller rounding as standard on those.
                        It's like they were not square but also not fully rounded, like halfway between the two.

edit; Not like the edges of the st300 either, more like a half-bevel thing.
                        Last edited by dave74; 12-31-2020, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Here's another (from the dc600 gallery) with that body/head combo.

Comment

Those necks just look terrible to me...like a microscopic look at a virus or something.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

edit; Not like the edges of the st300 either, more like a half-bevel thing.
                              I believe the half-bevel thing is an option, and you can get it with or without that.

Comment

OK I see that now. So it looks like they are indeed just narrowing the field of superstrats.
                                They are by dropping the most recognized model they have ever built. It's like Fender dropping the Strat or Gibson dropping the Less Paul. Yes they have the 25-5 scale new Aries and you can get the bolt on without the bevels but if I want a super nice bolt 25.5 guitar I will buy a Suhr. I want a 25 scale neck through DC and have one in the works. I'll drop the $1700 or so to get what I want this time but this will likely be my last Kiesel Carvin. After a 30 + year relationship with the company as my first choice for a guitar and several builds they will no longer be building a guitar I want to own and play.
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X