banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kiesel is dropping the Iconic traditioal DC Super strat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiesel is dropping the Iconic traditioal DC Super strat!

The most produced most recognizable guitar Carvin Kiesel has ever built with an almost 40 year production run and according to what they are now saying will be no more after February if this holds. I think it is a massively huge blunder for them but seeming Jeff Kiesel wants to ax everything from the old Carvin days for his new designs. Been playing these guitars since the early 1990's prefer them to anything else by anybody at any price point and for many years you never see me out on stage without at least one Carvin or Kiesel with me. My 2017 Kiesel DC is the closest to absolute perfection in fit finish fretwork and workmanship in a guitar as I have ever seen absolutely flawless plus plays like butter is super stable and sounds amazing.
    Working on a final build now that will be just over $1700 with options so if you want one built to your specs now is the time or forever hold your peace .
    The new one will be similar to my 2017 in solid black very understated classy and simple with a couple unique touches.
    Here is the last one I got and it's the definition of flawless perfection!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2017 Kiesel 4.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	6043882
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 08:55 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Seems like they're going all-in on the lime green or cerulean burst spalted multiscale headless nu-metal crap
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
      Seems like they're going all-in on the lime green or cerulean burst spalted multiscale headless nu-metal crap
      Yep and are loosing all the folk like me who have been playing the guitars for decades by doing it!
      Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 08:58 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

they are a custom shop

discontinuing the line allows them to charge more if you want one

still will make whatever you want

marketing
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Practicing my Kiesels has really strengthened my pelvic floor.

---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            they are a custom shop

discontinuing the line allows them to charge more if you want one

still will make whatever you want

marketing
            Not so in this case as I have asked. They have made major changes to the DC 600 scale length ect subtle things many will not notice they are not a real DC guitar anymore just in name only. They are abandoning all the old designs in favor of the new crazy woods some with finishes that looks like alien puke beveled edges headless weird pointy headstocks ect. No problem with doing that but it's a stupid move to abandon the staples and push out all of the old crowd. My argument is keep the old loyal clientele by offering the core simple relatively affordable classic designs while still going for the new metal markets by offering the radical new cutting edge designs. To push away a dedicated base of clientele for a new fad market is always a long term bad move for any business.
            Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 09:38 AM.
            Guitars

Comment

I got a my1988 DC135, pretty sweet and heavy guitar (4.3Kg with the trem bar on), its a pitty to shut them down.

Comment

That’s too bad...a DC6 is my “gas” guitar.
                Unfortunately, right now I can’t afford one but I was hoping to make a purchase within the next few years.
                Looks like I’ll have to go used.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                  I got a my1988 DC135, pretty sweet and heavy guitar (4.3Kg with the trem bar on), its a pitty to shut them down.
                  All rock maple guitar! Played this 89 DC 200 for over 25 years regularly finally sold her because it was killing my back as weighed right at 12 LBS! Adjusted the neck maybe 8 or so times never so much as dressed the frets and 90% of the time on the road it came out of the case in tune night after night. GREAT guitars!
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	1989 DC200C.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.2 KB ID:	6043901
                  Old blue through my JCM 900 Dual Reverb 1993 live.

Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 09:53 AM.
                  Guitars

Comment

My guess is the pointier, gaudy, multicolor abominations they push sell a lot more. I've played old Carvins that are great guitars, but newer Kiesels don't do anything for me.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      My guess is the pointier, gaudy, multicolor abominations they push sell a lot more. I've played old Carvins that are great guitars, but newer Kiesels don't do anything for me.
                      There are a lot of us who have loved this company and these guitars who feel exactly this same way man.
                      What is happening is slowly over the last few years after the family feud and the name change the things that made Carvin so special to many of us are being erased by the new guard. My newer Kiesels like my 2017 are the old designs most are simple straight forward working player instruments. This last one from 2017 is seriously a work of art the single most perfect guitar I have ever had in my hands in fit finish workmanship and fret work. It's breathtaking and the new one if I can make the money come together I can only hope will be the same. I want a solid player guitar not a case queen show stopper . Specs are solid black DC 127, the basic inline headstock for a straight string pull, rounded body, ebony board, mahogany neck and body, thin neck profile( same as my AE 185 and the Red 2017), Stainless med jumbo frets, abalone dots and logo, Goto 2 post trem, gold trem and tuners only rest of the hardware black, black buckers and rings with gold poles a 3 way blade like on my red 2017 and a pull tap in the volume control. Simple sleek elegant and classy.
                      Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 11:44 AM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Is the Jason Becker model a DC?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Is the Jason Becker model a DC?
                          ST with the Strat body but otherwise the same and will be the last real old school neck through super strat Carvin standing after the DC 127 s gone and yes they are still branded as a Carvin not Kiesel unless you order the name change. They however just took away many of the options in the builder but suspect you can get most things if you call and with some cost. Can talk to Chris Hong my sales rep the next time I talk to him if you want as we are old friends and are working on the new build together. They lost the actives with those after the company split as Carvin was building the modules for the guitar side in house and the quality went down after the split. Would not mind owning one with the real electronics but you cant get them anymore and the builder only shows the current passive 2 volume 2 tone set up no options. My late 90's mahogany neck and body DC 400 has a Hybrid and Sentient wired into one of those old active passive modules and is an absolute tone machine!!
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	DC 400 new set up.jpg Views:	0 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	6043930
                          Here is my 2015 ST 300 for comparison and these also are now gone.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	ST 300 new PU's.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.4 KB ID:	6043935
                          Forgive the mess in these photos was going thorough and boxing up a BUNCH of books and other things and had piles of stuff stacked in that room as I was sorting through. It's NOT like that now!!
                          Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2020, 11:22 AM.
                          Guitars

Comment

If I were currently in the market I might have you ask a few questions for me but since I’m only window shopping it doesn’t seem worth it.
                            I have too many other things that require money at the present. Lol
                            But thank you for offering, I appreciate that.

Comment

dc600 has been 25.5" for over a decade now, but all the others in that line were 25" like the st300/JB models.
                              I love the look of a classic dc with fully rounded edges, but the 600 had a slightly different shape (wannabe ibby) that did not look good standard or rounded IMO..

Seems like it's the shorter scale they are ditching. The Aries (a Kiesel design) is now offered in neck-thru and bolt-on, but both are 25.5" with an optional 26.5".
                              I actually really like the Aries model without the extra beveling, and it can be done like that for no up-charge, at least on the bolt-on it can, maybe not the neck-thru (?).
                              Prices have went up, but some things are standard now instead of up-charged,,,,,,like stainless frets.

I wonder how long their deal with JB is. (?) That is the best shape (body+head combo) of any classic Carvin design IMO.
                              As long as they still make the Becker model I would assume they will do a custom st300 build, although I'm sure the price would end-up much higher than when it was a standard. Those might be the only 25" they have going forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X