banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What passive pickups/pots charvel model 5fx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What passive pickups/pots charvel model 5fx?

Hello everyone and Happy New Year! I think I'm going to go with passive pickups on my Charvel model 5fx instead of the emg's that are in it now and would be taking the guitar to a guitar repair shop to have work done as well as having setup done as I'm not good at working on guitars, I can string them up, tune etc. But that's about it. Our cover band plays Classic/Hard rock.

You will see I have posted other threads on this forum about my Charvel and I am thinking of going with Seymour duncan pickups, maybe a JB trembucker or 59/Custom hybrid trembucker for the bridge but don't know what single coil for the neck? I want the ability to be able to have push/pull pots to split to single coil for versatility and the guitar is bright sounding right now.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

I think one of the most versatile type of pickups SD makes is the PATB line. For the type of music you listed, either the PATB-1 or the PATB-3 in the bridge. The -3 is slightly lower gain and a little more PAF flavored, but still great for Classic and Hard Rock, just not as compressed. The -1 is like a Custom or a JB in terms of output, but in comparison to the JB is more balanced, without the upper mid spike that many find annoying about the JB for anything but lead playing. The -1 is nice and tight for rhythm and still sings for leads.

In the neck, I would suggest the PATB Stack. It is noiseless, matches great with the PATB humbuckers and has a very sweet classic tone. I think you would love them.
    Play more guitar.

Comment

For your single coil, what is more important...volume balance with the bridge or a traditional single coil sound?
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        For your single coil, what is more important...volume balance with the bridge or a traditional single coil sound?
        Volume balance with the bridge
        Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
        Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
        2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
        1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
        Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
        Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
        Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

I'd go with a Quarter Pound, then.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I'd go with a Quarter Pound, then.
            Or Cool Rails if you like hum-canceling. I'm running one with a Custom Custom in my Model 4.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Oh, I forgot that the Charvel in question has a different single coil route, and not every pickup will fit. The Custom Flat Strat is a good choice for volume balance, too. It has a thicker sound than normal Strat pickups.

Comment

Working...
              X