banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst playing guitar is now my best! (25 yo ibby refurb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst playing guitar is now my best! (25 yo ibby refurb)

I got this guitar new in the mid 90s. Like every other freaking Ibanez bolt-on, it developed a hump or ski jump over the tongue. I kept it because it was the first "nice" guitar I bought.

This weekend I got serious about doing an immaculate crown/level, and this time I went deep on the upper frets. Pleased to report that its now my best playing guitar, no fret buzz w/ action < 1.4mm. Frets above 17 like medium jumbo in height.

You can't dance around a problem like this, either you have to pull the frets and replane the board or hope that there is enough height in the frets and really knock em down. I only have two Ibbys left in my collection -- EVERY Ibanez of this vintage I've owned has done the same thing.

What doesn't work is a lazy level (which is what they do with plek)-- which is setting the truss rod so the least material is removed before leveling. Ive tried that before and the results just aren't as good.

You have to make the neck completely flat below the hump which means the high frets are going to lose more height. C'est la vie. The benefit is that truss rod is working exactly in its range and the neck doesn't have any excess relief (its still pretty damn flat which feels better when playing.)

Another part of the refurb was fixing the back of the neck where the satin finish had flaked off. At the beginning of the lockdown, I experimented with some polycrylic and the finish is still holding up. Instead of removing the entire finish and spraying, I rubbed poly into the area that had flaked off, built it up above the level of the original finish and sanded flat. You can't feel it at all, its still fast and satiny, but you can see it. The poly is clear and doesn't yellow like the stuff they use. This guitar has plenty of dings so this doesn't bother me.

I also sanded down and lowered the nut in keeping with the new fret profile.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210102_154358.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	6044928Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210102_154348.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.7 KB ID:	6044929Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210103_222519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.4 KB ID:	6044930Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210103_222401.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.7 KB ID:	6044931Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210103_183955.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	6044932Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210103_222421.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.9 KB ID:	6044933
    Last edited by Top-L; 01-03-2021, 09:15 PM.

Nice. Nice guitar. I love when a little refurb attention is almost like buying a new guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Nice. Nice guitar. I love when a little refurb attention is almost like buying a new guitar.
      Its true! I thought this guitar was a write off.

Comment

Just over the tongue?

sounds like maybe a shim might've worked
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Nice old Saber! Don't see many of those they were very cool guitars . I remember those well as worked for an Ibanez dealer back then.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Those are nice. I remember picking up a few at shops in the 90's, one that I worked at, and they always played nice. The necks were too thin for my preference but the overall weight of them is great.

Comment

I love a great resurrection story! NICE!!
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                Just over the tongue?

sounds like maybe a shim might've worked
                A shim wont change the fret profile. My understanding is that over time, moisture enters the end of the neck, causing it to expand. You either have to refret and plane the fretboard, or if your frets are tall enough, you can do what I did. It wasn't an extreme ski jump, but every ibanez i've owned has done this.
                Last edited by Top-L; 01-04-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                  Those are nice. I remember picking up a few at shops in the 90's, one that I worked at, and they always played nice. The necks were too thin for my preference but the overall weight of them is great.
                  I have to agree with you. The necks are too thin for my preference, also I'm not a fan of the tiny body. And I prefer 24 frets. But surprisingly they are very resonant and of course they stay in tune perfectly.
                  Last edited by Top-L; 01-04-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L;n6045 et081

A shim wont change the fret profile. My understanding is that over time, moisture enters the end of the neck, causing it to expand. You either have to refret and plane the fretboard, or if your frets are tall enough, you can do what I did. It wasn't an extreme ski jump, but every ibanez i've owned has done this.
                    If it's just several frets at the very end, a neck angle shim can sometimes do the trick
                    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                    X