Fix fret buzz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix fret buzz

I'm having an issue with my Tele. Played great until on a lark I replaced the stock 6 saddle bridge with a 3 saddle MIJ bridge from the mid 80s, now there's sitar-ish buzz when I play the 12th, 14th, and 15th fret on the high E, and when I play the 13th fret on the high B. These 4 notes ring somewhat but choke out. If I bend any of these notes even slightly the buzz goes away. I've raised the saddle significantly and the buzz is there even with the action cranked up way higher than what's comfortable to play on. Any ideas on what's causing this or what I could do to fix it?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

The only way to diagnose is get a fret rocker. Check the adjacent frets to see that none are low/high.

If this happened because of the saddle change, it would lead us to believe that its just an action height problem.. but is it possible that some of the frets pulled up when you were working on it?

Most likely explanation is that over time the neck wood changed/swelled and the guitar needs a level. It probably has nothing to do with the new saddles.

Comment

I think I'll just ignore it for now... hard to hear it amplified and since I'm not currently gigging it doesn't really matter all that much.
      Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

Is it maybe a spring or other piece of hardware resonating?
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If it persist despite high action and it's only the fretted notes, I'say it's the saddle. I'd try stuffing some cloth around them to see if that makes the buzz go away (as a way to troubleshoot, not proposing this as a permanent solution). I once had a loose strap button rattling around the screwhead... Drove me nuts, took me several days to find the cause of rattle...

Comment

I agree with JB_From_Hell and nexion218 . This causes vibration of some other part. Can you put the old bridge back and try again?

Comment

One more thing came into my mind... Those saddles should be cut to keep the strings in place and the slots should match the string gauge: too small and the strings bind, too wide and the strings rattle. Maybe the slots on your saddles were made for heavier strings or are simply worn and widened frim 25+ plus yearsnof use. That might be another thing to check!

Comment

^^^ he says he bends a tiny bit and the sitar effect goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                  One more thing came into my mind... Those saddles should be cut to keep the strings in place and the slots should match the string gauge: too small and the strings bind, too wide and the strings rattle. Maybe the slots on your saddles were made for heavier strings or are simply worn and widened frim 25+ plus yearsnof use. That might be another thing to check!
                  Interestingly, the slots are all the same size. Could be that the two high strings are rattling in the slot.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
                    ^^^ he says he bends a tiny bit and the sitar effect goes away.
                    How is that theory even possible, cause there bridge has no slots..duh. I assume it's a vintage tele bridge with compensated saddles.

OP congrats, you have found the secret to the tele twang. This just proves my theory that it's the bridge (vintage) not the pickups.

Comment

If possible, try removing the saddle the b and e strings are one, turn it around, and put it back on.
                      If the slots are angled and the saddle is reversed it will create a sitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

How is that theory even possible, cause there bridge has no slots.
                        OP states pretty clearly that the saddles do have slots (post #9). Besides, without the slots, the strings would never be anchored at the saddles, they would move around, messing up string spacing etc. The bend may be neutering the sitar effect by creating some extra pull on the string which forces it to sit properly in the slot and cease rattling. Just my two cents...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                          If possible, try removing the saddle the b and e strings are one, turn it around, and put it back on.
                          If the slots are angled and the saddle is reversed it will create a sitar.
                          But you should play Do It Again and Philby first

Comment

I'll take this guitar to my tech and see what he thinks. I have zero experience with vintage anything, honestly. And the guitar could benefit from a pro setup anyways. Could be that the setup will fix the issue. I'll try to remember to report back - will probably take him a couple weeks to get to it. Thanks everyone for the brainstorm.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post

But you should play Do It Again and Philby first
                              hahaha right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X