Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacitance Value For Neck & Bridge Tone Pots For Humbuckers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Great. You have a JB in the bridge position. There are many pickup arrays with unbalanced bridge/neck volume. What I suggested was a cheap and easy way to beef up a bridge pu to balance better. It works very well. I use it on a R6 Goldtop with 50s pickups and the volume between pickups is well balanced now. Likewise, decreasing the tonecap value on the neck pickup to .015 would decrease the low end and clean it up a bit.
    Last edited by SoPhx; 01-11-2021, 11:17 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
      Great. You have a JB in the bridge position. There are many pickup arrays with unbalanced bridge/neck volume. What I suggested was a cheap and easy way to beef up a bridge pu to balance better. It works very well. I use it on a R6 Goldtop with 50s pickups and the volume between pickups is well balanced now. Likewise, decreasing the tonecap value on the neck pickup to .015 would decrease the low end and clean it up a bit.
      The regular guitar tone circuit rolls off highs in a passive manner. You can't 'decrease low end' . . . you can only remove fewer highs. The low end will always be there in the same quantity.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

      Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

        The regular guitar tone circuit rolls off highs in a passive manner. You can't 'decrease low end' . . . you can only remove fewer highs. The low end will always be there in the same quantity.
        Nope...the tone cap acts as a crossover to shelve low-end response. Works the same way as a coupling cap in an amp---bigger value=more lows. Try a .1 cap in a Strat (50s value) vs. the modern .022 value. Then you can delete your post.
        Last edited by SoPhx; 01-11-2021, 01:18 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          when the tone control is on 10, i dont hear a difference between tone cap values. i have a strat with a pp tone control to select a .047 cap or a .015 and i dont hear a difference. you can tell as soon as you start turning the knob for sure

          Comment


          • #20
            Try a .1. You'll hear it.

            Comment


            • #21
              ive used a .1 before, makes the tone control damn near useless for my needs but next time i open that guitar up i might try it for giggles since i use the .015 almost exclusively in that guitar

              Comment


              • #22
                A Strat potentiometer rolls off signal from 0-250k with some variance in its travel due to taper. If you rolled off the high end to '5' to get the desired tone before, the larger cap only needs to be rolled off to '7' or thereabouts. If you roll it all the way off to Frippland, of course, there will be less high end in the signal than the smaller cap.

                Comment


                • #23
                  no. the cap value changes the frequency of roll off. im going to make up these numbers but the concept is correct, a .1 cap starts rolling off at 800hz, a .047 at 1200hz, .02 at 2300hz, .01 at 3500hz. again, the frequency numbers are made up but a larger cap rolls off more of the mids. i usually like between .022 and .01

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Uhh, yeah, when you roll it all the way to 0. Never mind...why are so many people on this forum such dim bulbs? Jesus Christ...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      no, not just when on 0. i use the full range of my tone control, seldom on 10 or 0 but being adjusted frequently. using a .1 cap, i cannot get the same roll off i do with a .01 cap, it doesnt sound the same. are you saying i could if i had a more precise pot?

                      oh, and thanks for the insult

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        while you think that about them
                        they think the same about you
                        its a disagreement

                        thats how disagreements work

                        dont get mad

                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          Bridge humbucker kinda anemic? Try a .033 or .047 to bump up the low end.
                          Originally posted by SoPhx View Post

                          Yeah...you don't lose any high end. Try it on a wimpy bridge pickup and get back to me.
                          Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          Great. You have a JB in the bridge position. There are many pickup arrays with unbalanced bridge/neck volume. What I suggested was a cheap and easy way to beef up a bridge pu to balance better. It works very well. I use it on a R6 Goldtop with 50s pickups and the volume between pickups is well balanced now. Likewise, decreasing the tonecap value on the neck pickup to .015 would decrease the low end and clean it up a bit.
                          Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          Nope...the tone cap acts as a crossover to shelve low-end response. Works the same way as a coupling cap in an amp---bigger value=more lows. Try a .1 cap in a Strat (50s value) vs. the modern .022 value. Then you can delete your post.
                          Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                          A Strat potentiometer rolls off signal from 0-250k with some variance in its travel due to taper. If you rolled off the high end to '5' to get the desired tone before, the larger cap only needs to be rolled off to '7' or thereabouts. If you roll it all the way off to Frippland, of course, there will be less high end in the signal than the smaller cap.

                          Your posts are not correct. A passive tone circuit can only cut frequencies, not boost. A passive RC network tone control is a low-pass filter (not a crossover nor a shelf EQ, and not a coupling cap which removes DC and connects circuit loads). It removes high frequencies at a specific corner frequency. The cap value sets the corner frequency and the resistor sets the db of removal above the corner frequency. So a 250k - 0.1 vs a 250k 0.022 cannot be made to sound the same no matter where you turn the knob because the corner frequency of rolloff is different.

                          https://www.premierguitar.com/articl..._Tone_Controls
                          https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...e-tone-control
                          https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...rol-works.html
                          https://medium.com/axes-xplained/how...k-4919aa71bb20
                          https://octavedoctor.com/guitar-tone-circuits/
                          https://www.bestbassgear.com/ebass/r...explained.html

                          I've previously created a test rig to test all this, so don't tell me to try it and get back to you.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            thats my understanding as well

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by SoPhx View Post
                              Nope...the tone cap acts as a crossover to shelve low-end response. Works the same way as a coupling cap in an amp---bigger value=more lows. Try a .1 cap in a Strat (50s value) vs. the modern .022 value. Then you can delete your post.

                              The standard tone cap circuit in a guitar acts to shelve high frequency response. Not low frequency. This is a passive circuit. It can't add anything in, just bleeds some frequencies to ground. If it was a low frequency shelf, then the lows would be bled to ground by turning up the pot. This is not what happens.

                              You are right that a .1 cap does sound darker than a .022 cap . . . but this happens because the .022 capacitor filters out fewer highs than the .1 cap.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

                              Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post


                                The standard tone cap circuit in a guitar acts to shelve high frequency response. Not low frequency. This is a passive circuit. It can't add anything in, just bleeds some frequencies to ground. If it was a low frequency shelf, then the lows would be bled to ground by turning up the pot. This is not what happens.

                                You are right that a .1 cap does sound darker than a .022 cap . . . but this happens because the .022 capacitor filters out fewer highs than the .1 cap.
                                Exactly. I don't know what SoPhx is talking about.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X