caring for a rosewood fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• caring for a rosewood fretboard?

Hey guys, I finally closed the deal on a Hamer Studio, so this should be arriving soon:

this will be my first guitar with a rosewood fretboard, as my Wolfgang has an oil finished maple board. I'm used to using lemon oil on the Wolfgang's neck every 6-8 weeks, does rosewood need to be oiled as well? Any other tips for taking care of a rosewood fretboard? Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: caring for a rosewood fretboard?

Ryan,

Well done I think you'll like it when it arrives. As for using lemon oil on the fretboard yes that should be fine and ideally should be done at least twice a year with change of strings Some people use gun oil but as you have already go lemon oil that's fine.

I am a little concerned as to why you are using lemon oil on your maple fretboard on your Wolfgang ? You should not really be using this as it is a finished (maple) board and as such would not need this, in fact you might be doing more harm to it.

Norman
    Normans Guitars

Comment

Ryan,
      when I got my '99 Studio, there was a fair amount of gunk built up around the frets

I used Dunlop formula 65 to remove the gunk, then treated the fretboard with a little lemon oil (use sparingly). I also polished the body with Gerlitz Number One carnauba guitar wax, the nicest polish I've found. Not easy to find, but a very nice product. Some of the MacGuire's stuff is probably similar.

those treatments made the guitar much nicer to play
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

if you live in an equatorial climate (like i do), your rosewood fretboard would get very dry pretty fast. lemon oil is an available solution for fretboard moisturising but it depends on the climate you're in. i have resorted to a wood conditioner to address this problem. IMO it has a less drying effect on the fretboard.
        Psychic Horns

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T

I am a little concerned as to why you are using lemon oil on your maple fretboard on your Wolfgang ? You should not really be using this as it is a finished (maple) board and as such would not need this, in fact you might be doing more harm to it.
          I was wondering the same as well. That had me a little puzzled.

Comment

what is then the proper fluid to apply to a maple fretboard, if there is a need to?

IMO maple are closed grained wood which do not need this kinda attention...
            Psychic Horns

Comment

Clean the fingerboard with a very fine steel wool. I use 00000. This will remove any build up around the frets, and it will not harm the rosewood. I oil the fingerboard with Lemon oil after every other string change.
              "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
              "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
                Ryan,

Well done I think you'll like it when it arrives. As for using lemon oil on the fretboard yes that should be fine and ideally should be done at least twice a year with change of strings Some people use gun oil but as you have already go lemon oil that's fine.

Norman
                The Wolfgang's neck is not a finished neck, the way a Strat with a maple neck is. When I said "oil-finished," I meant that the neck is given a coat of oil and left without a hard finish. Peavey recommends regular lemon oil treatment for the neck and fretboard.

Ryan
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
                  The Wolfgang's neck is not a finished neck, the way a Strat with a maple neck is. When I said "oil-finished," I meant that the neck is given a coat of oil and left without a hard finish. Peavey recommends regular lemon oil treatment for the neck and fretboard.

Ryan
                  That's okay and explains a lot, I thought it was a maple board. If Peavey recommends doing it then fine. Sorry my bad
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
                  X