banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Single Humbucker Guitar & Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Single Humbucker Guitar & Pickup?

Just recently got into single humbucker equipped guitars with 1 volume and enjoying the simplicity of one pickup and the challenge of getting the most out just one pickup. What's your favorite one humbucker guitar and what pickup are you using?

Melody Maker with a Duncan-Designed Distortion. Just changing my picking position everywhere in between the bridge and the neck gives me almost all the sounds/tones you can get with two pickups and a switch.

Although right now at the moment, my Jackson only has a single Custom 5 in it and I have a 5-way wired to do hum, split slug, split screw, parallel, and add a tone in one position and it's pretty versatile also.

Comment

I don't have any, and probably won't for some time to come but at some point in the future I'd like to build a cherry red single P-90 les paul junior double cut.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
        I don't have any, and probably won't for some time to come but at some point in the future I'd like to build a cherry red single P-90 les paul junior double cut.
        Yes, but TV Yellow for me.

Comment

The guitar itself is not particularly noteworthy, (flea-market, Peavey Rockmaster), but then again, there's nothing wrong with it. I love it. Simple clean design, one bridge pup, that plays great.

It's been through several pups:

1. The GFS Dream 180 was surprisingly nice. That pup will probably go back in it once I'm done experimenting with other pups.
          2. I had a Nazgul, but didn't like it. Might be the only Duncan pup I haven't liked. It just seemed like you couldn't dial the "dirt" out of it. I play mostly clean.
          3. Custom Shop El Diablo. Great pup. Too much for this guitar. It moved on to better projects.
          4. And finally, my Jason Becker Perpetual Burn. This has become one of my favorite pickups. It's "clean", but still has it's own distinctive character. Kind of hard to describe. It's almost like a custom shop JB. (The "other" JB.) Not too much of this, not too little of that. Just a great do-anything pup. This, also, will move on to greener pastures.
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-11-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

The only single pickup guitar with a humbucker I have is a 1988 Kramer Baretta. It's had a few pickups in it and right now it has a Screamin' Demon in it. Sounds flat out killer!

Now, I do have other single-pickup guitars but with a P90. One is a SG Jr build I made in 2011 with a Lollar custom wound tapped P90 and the other is a work in progress LP Junior doublecut that will also have a Lollar P90 but their stock model, nothing custom.

My Warmoth Strat used to be a single humbucker with the Perpetual Burn but I've swapped the pickguard out for a HH setup with a Custom Custom and Whole Lotta Humbucker neck.

Others I like in single humbucker configuration; Custom Custom, Custom, Brobucker, Pearly Gates, DiMarzio Air Zone, DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Comment

I have a Baby BBQ-bucker in my PRS SE One right now. Basically a single cut LP junior style.

Comment

The only one I have that is routed as a single-bucker is my Carvin dc125.
                It's been one of my pickup-tester guitars over the years but everything has really been good in it. (granted that I've only used models that should be good in it)
                Now it has a ceramic warpig wired series-only with a 500k volume, but when it makes it back up on my project list it will get a push-pull volume so it can do parallel also.
                I really think parallel with the c-pig will be very useful in this full-mahogany neck/body.

Comment

I don't have it anymore, but I used to have one of those Alexi Laiho Jackson Rhoads with 1 hum. I had an invader in it and I loved it !

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the only single pickup guitars I have are these and they are both amazing.

Nik Huber Jr with a Hausel pickup
                    Brian Monty Jr (singlecut) with a p90
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My ideal choice would be an early 60s ES-175 with the original pickup, which, I hear, was pretty good.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Only single HB i have is a Squier Tom DeLonge strat. I replaced the DD Detonator with and Invader. It sounds really good, but I don't use it very much. It'll probably be on the chopping block when I get around to paring down my collection.
                        sigpic
                        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

One of these days if I ever get a removable pickup for an acoustic guitar, I want to throw it under the strings of an electric guitar that's electronics-less and move it around to hear the different sounds.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                            Only single HB i have is a Squier Tom DeLonge strat. I replaced the DD Detonator with and Invader. It sounds really good, but I don't use it very much. It'll probably be on the chopping block when I get around to paring down my collection.
                            I regret not buying one of those years ago; I’ve spent a lot of time considering alternatives, such as parts-casters, modding Squier bullets, and other brands.

My single-humbucker guitar is an EVH striped-series, which I’m happy to say does exactly what I want it to do, with zero modifications. I have debated putting a neck pickup in, but realised that I’ve never been playing it and wished that there was a neck pickup at the time.

Comment

I built a Tele shaped partscaster with a Warmoth 24.75 neck a year or two ago with a Super Distortion only. If I was still in an active band it would be my #1 stage guitar. It is perfect for what I play. But since I am just rockin my basement these days I will end up putting a neck pickup in it because after a while I want to play clean I always wind up on the neck pickup when that happens, which means the poor guitar gets neglected.

Comment

Working...
                              X