banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are high-end Yamaha guitars worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are high-end Yamaha guitars worth getting?

I’m thinking about getting the Yamaha A.R.E. Dreadnought Acoustic LL16D in the future.

I don't know, you might be the first.

Comment

Ive never used anything top end Yamaha that wasn't exceptional. But I've never played this particular model.

They make the best piano for studio recording in the world, they make incredible guitars, they make amazing amps,

I have high trust in what they do.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Even Yamaha's student quality instruments are world class.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Even Yamaha's student quality instruments are world class.
          Their entry level Pacifica's are incredible quality for the price. While I may not buy a $1,000 Yamaha it wouldn't be due to any hesitation about their quality it would be due to price. I would kill for a 70's Ibanez Artist or Yamaha SG2000 like Santana used to play.

Comment

Historically, Yamaha makes good stuff for what you pay. Every price point is considered 'a good deal', and their high end can compete with anyone.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got a Yamaha F-310 acoustic I bought in the mid 90s. Not high end, but its a great sounding acoustic. Yamaha guitars are nice.

Comment

I'm curious how the ARE thing they do with wood changes the sound.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

All the Yamaha acoustics I have owned played and sounded phenomenal

The two Yamaha electric guitars I have owned were very nice as well
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My first acoustic was a mid-level Yamaha. I thought that was what acoustics played and sounded like until I laid my hands on the lowest entry point Martin. In comparison the Yamaha sounded plasticy and boomy (despite having a solid top and back). The Martin was LIGHT YEARS easier and more comfortable to play. I bought the Martin and still own it. I sold that Yamaha and have never once missed it.

Let's just say I wouldn't buy one without trying it out and playing it against other guitars in that price range.
                    -
                    My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

This is also true
                      I currently have a Martin as well
                      And would not trade it for an equal value Yamaha

I did see where entry level Martins were under $500 now
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Every Yamaha I have played has been a dream. My old roommate had one I got to spend a lot of time with.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          This is also true
                          I currently have a Martin as well
                          And would not trade it for an equal value Yamaha

I did see where entry level Martins were under $500 now
                          I played a 800 Martin and an 800 Yamaha in the store not too long ago side by side.

-I did prefer the sound of the Martin but hated the chunky narrow neck. The neck profile, features (pickups, EQ etc) and feel/playability of the Yamaha were much better than the Martin.

I would imagine what makes them equivalent in price is Yamaha packed with features versus Martin using more expensive materials.

Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

The neck profile, features (pickups, EQ etc) and feel/playability of the Yamaha were much better than the Yamaha. (I think you mean Martin here?)
                            See above

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

See above
                              Ha. fixed! thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X