Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Hmmm....

Elaborate
    Pedals?

Comment

Hmmm....

Elaborate
      In 2005 I was lusting after a V. My local store had the Gibson Faded V in worn cherry for $649. I was leaning that way because of the historical aspect. The shop also had an LTD DV8R in silver. This was a King V copy in mahogany with Seymour Duncan pickups, TonePros locking bridge, recessed straplocks, and locking tuners. I played both guitars and thought the LTD blew the Gibson out of the guitar store and into the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street. But I bought the Gibson because of the history; I thought my first V should be a Gibson Flying V.

I don’t have that Gibson anymore, but every time I think about it, I wish I’d bought the LTD instead.
      La plouc

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
        Jessie, have you priced a Parker in the last 10 years?

even used they’re above your top price.

I have no intention of selling mine. Ken Parker created the perfect guitar.
        They've never been very cheap but they're going crazy now. I've been watching them for years and for too long I had other guitar focuses. Damn I'm sorry I didn't buy one in the late 90's or early 2000's.
        . What model do you have LS?

Comment

Originally posted by TMD View Post

In 2005 I was lusting after a V. My local store had the Gibson Faded V in worn cherry for $649. I was leaning that way because of the historical aspect. The shop also had an LTD DV8R in silver. This was a King V copy in mahogany with Seymour Duncan pickups, TonePros locking bridge, recessed straplocks, and locking tuners. I played both guitars and thought the LTD blew the Gibson out of the guitar store and into the Buffalo Wild Wings across the street. But I bought the Gibson because of the history; I thought my first V should be a Gibson Flying V.

I don’t have that Gibson anymore, but every time I think about it, I wish I’d bought the LTD instead.
          I understand...

Would it make you feel better if I told you I had the limited edition DV8R unplayed in its case with tags and stickers etc still attached?

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I understand...

Would it make you feel better if I told you I had the limited edition DV8R unplayed in its case with tags and stickers etc still attached?
            I don’t have the money right now. Also, I’m concerned about shipping a guitar like that. It seems points would get broken off. I might have to save up and then go traipsing around guitar stores until I find one. Or a used high-end Jackson. See what sparks joy.
            La plouc

Comment

I don’t have the money right now. Also, I’m concerned about shipping a guitar like that. It seems points would get broken off. I might have to save up and then go traipsing around guitar stores until I find one. Or a used high-end Jackson. See what sparks joy.
              My apologies. I wasn't mentioning it to you for sale, just letting you know I have one.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

My apologies. I wasn't mentioning it to you for sale, just letting you know I have one.
                I’m glad that somebody has one. Someday’ll get something KV shaped.
                La plouc

Comment

I’m glad that somebody has one. Someday’ll get something KV shaped.
                  V's rock! Everybody should have some V.

Comment

V's rock! Everybody should have some V.
                    V-Blade.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Since I'm a tech, and not a musician who relies on the instrument for a living, my guitars fall somewhere between toys and lab rats. For my purposes, a guitar with questionable electronics is actually a plus. I think that around $600 is the most I've paid for a guitar.

The other thing is, having a best friend who's an excellent luthier means that pretty much all my guitars get a total set-up, fret level and polishing, and usually a custom bone nut. Between that, and my electronics upgrades, my guitars move up several levels from what the price would suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                        Since I'm a tech, and not a musician who relies on the instrument for a living, my guitars fall somewhere between toys and lab rats. For my purposes, a guitar with questionable electronics is actually a plus. I think that around $600 is the most I've paid for a guitar.

The other thing is, having a best friend who's an excellent luthier means that pretty much all my guitars get a total set-up, fret level and polishing, and usually a custom bone nut. Between that, and my electronics upgrades, my guitars move up several levels from what the price would suggest.
                        Cheap guitars are great as long as they don't start using "funny" wood.

It used to be you could get cheap basswood guitars with a rosewood neck. Now cheap/mid guitars are more likely to have some kind of mahogony for the body.

Rosewood seems to be a thing of the past. I have a guitar with a Pau Ferro fingerboard. Honestly I dont love it. Its brown like dirt, makes you realize that rosewood is actually a deep reddish/purple.

I think I may dye the pau ferro or keep drenching it in lemon oil hoping it darkens a few shades.

And lately if you look at cheap ibanez guitars they are made with woods like "agathis" and "meranti". I don't know if they are bad, but there is a reason they are used in cheap guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Cheap guitars are great as long as they don't start using "funny" wood.

It used to be you could get cheap basswood guitars with a rosewood neck. Now cheap/mid guitars are more likely to have some kind of mahogony for the body.

Rosewood seems to be a thing of the past. I have a guitar with a Pau Ferro fingerboard. Honestly I dont love it. Its brown like dirt, makes you realize that rosewood is actually a deep reddish/purple.

I think I may dye the pau ferro or keep drenching it in lemon oil hoping it darkens a few shades.

And lately if you look at cheap ibanez guitars they are made with woods like "agathis" and "meranti". I don't know if they are bad, but there is a reason they are used in cheap guitars.
                          For the pau ferro, give it a rub down with a couple coats of tinted danish oil. Then let it soak in for a few hours and rub the excess off. It'll prevent the fretboard from getting dry again, and will darken it up nicely. The stuff they call 'lemon oil' will not make the board darker for long if it does at all.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

So much of this is personal, right? The reasons for buying, what you have already, what you're looking to gain. For me, the point of diminishing returns has shown itself to be around $700. Below that, electric stringed instruments are decent and useable. Above $700, instruments get fancier finishes and have more niche and/or marketable components, but they don't get "better" in terms of increasing my musicality or expression. And regardless of price, I do expect to put some sweat equity into it to make it playable the way I want.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Drenching a fretboard with anything is a bad idea. If you want to darken the fretboard, stew mac sells a product (link below) that does a wonderful job at darkening the board. If you get a fretboard too moist, too often, it can soften the wood and your frets can lift.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...ard-stain.html

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                                ... And regardless of price, I do expect to put some sweat equity into it to make it playable the way I want.
                                What is the value of the sweat equity you're putting into it and wouldn't that figure into the overall curve?

Comment

Working...
                                X