Tried lighter acoustic strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

I have a cheap 90s Alvarez that’s bridge needs reglued. My interim fix was putting 10s on it. The guitar didn’t sound bad with 12s or 13s, but it sounds like a toy played through an iPhone speaker now. I gave it to my oldest son, and probably won’t worry about fixing it for real until the bridge actually comes off.
    I don't know if this is a direction you want to go, but they do make those pins that double as bridge clamps.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-pins-2-0.html

And I'm reading not-so-great reviews of them. Also, the manufacturer sells them for much less.

Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I’ve thought about those. Might be a good way to fix it, it’s not a great guitar anyway.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Got an XT 13-56 set with D’Addario points, and the Southern Jumbo is back to peak form. Speaking of the XT strings, I’m not usually a coated string guy, but these sound and feel great. Wouldn’t have guessed they were coated if I didn’t know.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I gave up on coated strings a while back

The Elixir strings sounded dead right out of the pack
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I tried Elixirs a long time ago, didn’t like the sound, feel, or price. I’ve used D’Addario EXP coated mandolin strings, liked them, but they still felt coated. It cut a lot of string noise, so it wasn’t bad. The XTs really just feel like normal PB strings. Could see switching between them and the Nickel Bronze, whichever I’m in the mood for.

Curt Mangan’s acoustic strings are excellent, too. He makes a really cool 12.5-55 set that feels like 12s but has the snap of 13s.

Comment

i play my acoustics so infrequently i put coated strings. i dont love em but its better than putting a new set on every time i wanna use em. ill have to check out the xt

12 or 13 are ok, i tried 11s and i thought they sounded thin. even through an amp. ive used 10's on a 12 string and that was ok, but wouldnt try them on a six string. for electrics, while i use 11s, i think you can get great tones with any gauge. 7's to 15's, with acoustics i think there is benefit to having a heavier string to get the top moving. a piezo pup does mitigate this but i prefer a sound hole pup and blend in a piezo if so equipt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I tried Elixirs a long time ago, didn’t like the sound, feel, or price. I’ve used D’Addario EXP coated mandolin strings, liked them, but they still felt coated. It cut a lot of string noise, so it wasn’t bad. The XTs really just feel like normal PB strings. Could see switching between them and the Nickel Bronze, whichever I’m in the mood for.

Curt Mangan’s acoustic strings are excellent, too. He makes a really cool 12.5-55 set that feels like 12s but has the snap of 13s.
                I've been using Curt Mangan exclusively for my electric strings for years and years.
                But I've typically used D'Addario EJ16's for all my steel string acoustics for years and years as well.
                I've thought about trying Mangan acoustics whenever I place an electric order, several times, but never have pulled trigger to this day.
                I don't really know why that is...just old habits I guess...

Comment

Working...
                X