X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drak
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I tried Elixirs a long time ago, didn’t like the sound, feel, or price. I’ve used D’Addario EXP coated mandolin strings, liked them, but they still felt coated. It cut a lot of string noise, so it wasn’t bad. The XTs really just feel like normal PB strings. Could see switching between them and the Nickel Bronze, whichever I’m in the mood for.

Curt Mangan’s acoustic strings are excellent, too. He makes a really cool 12.5-55 set that feels like 12s but has the snap of 13s.
    I've been using Curt Mangan exclusively for my electric strings for years and years.
    But I've typically used D'Addario EJ16's for all my steel string acoustics for years and years as well.
    I've thought about trying Mangan acoustics whenever I place an electric order, several times, but never have pulled trigger to this day.
    I don't really know why that is...just old habits I guess...

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    i play my acoustics so infrequently i put coated strings. i dont love em but its better than putting a new set on every time i wanna use em. ill have to check out the xt

12 or 13 are ok, i tried 11s and i thought they sounded thin. even through an amp. ive used 10's on a 12 string and that was ok, but wouldnt try them on a six string. for electrics, while i use 11s, i think you can get great tones with any gauge. 7's to 15's, with acoustics i think there is benefit to having a heavier string to get the top moving. a piezo pup does mitigate this but i prefer a sound hole pup and blend in a piezo if so equipt

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    I tried Elixirs a long time ago, didn’t like the sound, feel, or price. I’ve used D’Addario EXP coated mandolin strings, liked them, but they still felt coated. It cut a lot of string noise, so it wasn’t bad. The XTs really just feel like normal PB strings. Could see switching between them and the Nickel Bronze, whichever I’m in the mood for.

Curt Mangan’s acoustic strings are excellent, too. He makes a really cool 12.5-55 set that feels like 12s but has the snap of 13s.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    I gave up on coated strings a while back

The Elixir strings sounded dead right out of the pack

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Got an XT 13-56 set with D’Addario points, and the Southern Jumbo is back to peak form. Speaking of the XT strings, I’m not usually a coated string guy, but these sound and feel great. Wouldn’t have guessed they were coated if I didn’t know.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    I’ve thought about those. Might be a good way to fix it, it’s not a great guitar anyway.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

I have a cheap 90s Alvarez that’s bridge needs reglued. My interim fix was putting 10s on it. The guitar didn’t sound bad with 12s or 13s, but it sounds like a toy played through an iPhone speaker now. I gave it to my oldest son, and probably won’t worry about fixing it for real until the bridge actually comes off.
    I don't know if this is a direction you want to go, but they do make those pins that double as bridge clamps.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-pins-2-0.html

And I'm reading not-so-great reviews of them. Also, the manufacturer sells them for much less.

Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-17-2021, 01:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Semi-related, anybody using plastic nuts, saddles, or bridge pins, replace them with bone, Tusq, or wood for the pins. Get the blanks, do it yourself, and it’ll cost less than a single pickup, with a very noticeable improvement.

Leave a comment:

• DavidRavenMoon
    replied
    I use 10s or 11s on acoustics. I don’t care about the acoustic output as much as playability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I have to be honest here -I didn't know stringing acoustic with 10s was even a thing.
    I have a cheap 90s Alvarez that’s bridge needs reglued. My interim fix was putting 10s on it. The guitar didn’t sound bad with 12s or 13s, but it sounds like a toy played through an iPhone speaker now. I gave it to my oldest son, and probably won’t worry about fixing it for real until the bridge actually comes off.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Originally posted by solspirit View Post
    Mine are strung up with 10's and the classical has light tension now. I just got some 11's, 12's and medium tension strings.
    What will I have to do as far as set up goes? I don't really know much about acoustics.
    If you go to the 11s, maybe nothing, but maybe tightening the truss rod a little, no more than a quarter turn if it plays good now.

If the action’s too high once the truss is adjusted, you can remove the saddle and *carefully* sand the base of it to make it lower. Take off small amounts at a time, and keep it level while sanding. If you go too low, it’ll need a shim or a new saddle.

Otherwise, there’s not much to adjust.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    I have to be honest here -I didn't know stringing acoustic with 10s was even a thing.

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Mine are strung up with 10's and the classical has light tension now. I just got some 11's, 12's and medium tension strings.
    What will I have to do as far as set up goes? I don't really know much about acoustics.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    Different strokes, I suppose.

My dad had the action on this SJ really high, because that’s what bluegrass guys did back in the day. I sanded the saddle a bit, and made it much lower. I’m not going for a quieter alternative to electric, so I was happy that it didn’t lose any volume and got much easier to play.

Leave a comment:

• ehdwuld
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    I honestly don't mind lighter strings, especially since most of the time playing, the guitar is plugged it. I am hearing the pickup system more than the guitar at that point.
    When I play acoustic it's usually late at night And I just want a softer sound anyways

I just put the pickup in my only acoustic without it
    And if I play out, like you said, it won't matter

when I got my hummingbird it came with 12s
    The action was taller
    it was much louder.
    sounded great. But was hard to play

When I put the 10s on the action went down to where my electric guitars sit

And it plays effortless

I like it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X