The four way tele switch mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The four way tele switch mod...

Is it necessary? Why shouldn't I just wire in series?

It's up to you wether you prefer parallel, series, or both options. For general playing I don't really need the giant boost of series unless I have a spin a split to dial it back.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I don't find two singles in series to be as interesting a sound as parallel. If I were adding a fourth sound to a Tele, I'd probably go with the Jerry Donahue fake-Strat setting.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
        I don't find two singles in series to be as interesting a sound as parallel. If I were adding a fourth sound to a Tele, I'd probably go with the Jerry Donahue fake-Strat setting.
        Ok you got me interested, what's this?

Comment

It's a little resister and cap wired in to put the pickups partially out of phase (don't ask me to explain; I'm not knowledgeable enough) and get something akin to positions 2&4 on a Strat.

I've been fascinated by it for twenty years, but still haven't gotten around to actually doing it.

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Ok you got me interested, what's this?
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

It's a little resister and cap wired in to put the pickups partially out of phase (don't ask me to explain; I'm not knowledgeable enough) and get something akin to positions 2&4 on a Strat.

I've been fascinated by it for twenty years, but still haven't gotten around to actually doing it.

Do you have a diagram with values?

Comment

They're all over the internet. Premiere Guitar did an article about it. Also, If you go back far enough in the Forum, there's an Artie diagram in a very old thread of mine, back when I was obsessed with getting as many sounds out of a single guitar as possible.

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Do you have a diagram with values?

Comment

Agree -Parallel is much more interesting than series.... and Jerry Mod is cool.

I've got a 5 Way Superswitch with my own custom thing right now.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Two vintage-output single coils sound pretty cool in series. It is a thicker sound that is a good contrast to parallel. I wouldn't do it with more powerful pickups, as it will turn to mud pretty quickly.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm wondering now if should just leave alone and not mess around.

Thank you St_Genius for pointing out my problem as well, Ive always had an obsession with getting as most sounds as possible.

Comment

Also, If you go back far enough in the Forum, there's an Artie diagram in a very old thread of mine, back when I was obsessed with getting as many sounds out of a single guitar as possible.
                      I think you might be talking about this diagram. And here's the original text that went along with it.

Jerry Donahue Wiring.

Position ONE:
                      The neck (Strat®) pickup with the tone circuit OUT, affording a clearer, brighter tone
                      to compensate for the inherent dullness normally found in this position. The result: a lead guitar
                      sound that echoes the blues shadings of Clapton, Hendrix, etc.

Position TWO:
                      The neck (Strat®) pickup with the tone circuit IN, allowing the guitarist to soften the tone
                      for rhythm or mellow leads, as per a stock Tele rhythm pickup.

Position THREE:
                      The neck and bridge pickups are in the standard stock parallel wiring with the tone circuit IN,
                      enhancing the customary Tele® sound.

Position FOUR:
                      By combining both pickups with a capacitor and resistor in a controlled degree of reversed phase,
                      the guitar offers a bell-like, rich tone that echoes the classic Strat® sound. Until now,
                      this sound could only be obtained by the use of the bridge and middle pickups on a typical Strat.

Position FIVE:
                      An updated stock-style bridge pickup with symmetrically staggered pole pieces for great string
                      balance and a special wind for increased sustain. It captures that great old Tele® lead sound
                      that launched post-War popular music in America, and has the same gutsy, "punchy" tone of Jerry's
                      prized '52 Tele®. By the way, the Fender® Custom Shop Jerry Donahue Signature model uses a
                      Seymour Duncan APTL-3JD Jerry Donahue Model bridge pickup and an APS-2 Vintage Flat pickup
                      for Strat® in the neck position. In any event, the wiring is fairly complex and the key to the
                      Strat® sound is using a Strat® pickup in the neck position.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	JDsuperswitch.png
Views:	79
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	6049238

Comment

Maybe I'm conflating things. You did a diagram for a Nashville Tele with, like, 11 settings or something dumb. But maybe it didn't include the JD mod.

But whenever I've searched for info on the mod over the years, even as more and more stuff has shown up, I've repeatedly come across a thread called something like "Is the Jerry Donahue Wiring a Secret?" Because back then, it kinda seemed like it was. Nowadays... Not so much.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I think you might be talking about this diagram.

Comment

Maybe I'm conflating things. You did a diagram for a Nashville Tele with, like, 11 settings or something dumb. But maybe it didn't include the JD mod.
                          I'll keep looking, as I sup my morning coffee. I actually (vaguely) remember that title.

Comment

I've got series on my Danelectro (about as low-output as they come). It's... Fine? I haven't bothered to change it. But I def prefer the middle settings on my other guitars more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Two vintage-output single coils sound pretty cool in series. It is a thicker sound that is a good contrast to parallel. I wouldn't do it with more powerful pickups, as it will turn to mud pretty quickly.

Comment

I've got series on my Danelectro (about as low-output as they come). It's... Fine? I haven't bothered to change it. But I def prefer the middle settings on my other guitars more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't want muddy. What's the output on the vintage pickups?

Comment

Working...
                              X