Aliexpress Yngwie Malmsteen Strat / Scallops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aliexpress Yngwie Malmsteen Strat / Scallops

So a friend bought one to use as wall art, him being a big Yngwie fan and occasional grocery store run-in of the Screamin' Swede.

Here is the guitar in question sort of:

Click image for larger version  Name:	He8a465e0e47941dc8b1c9d524a214da6f.jpg_q50.jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	6049059

Obviously has a total fender headstock. He's a graphic artist, so he doctored up a play loud sticker, the duck, and a couple of Ferrari emblems per the real deal. Additionally, he put a brass nut on himself. So, what did I think of this Alien Swedish Shred Beast?

Well, now being in the Fender club I could compare it to a real one. The color first off, looked more like sweet cream butter than olympic white. The feel was "light". Didn't have the heft of a real Strat IMO. Not sure about the tuners, didn't play it that long. They seemed ok. Didn't use the trem. Also, the pickups were tragically bright compared to my Texas Specials. I'm certain a pickup upgrade would have helped. All in all, it felt pretty Squire like. Just not authentic "Fender" class. That said - it worked just fine. One the treble was dialed out at the amp, some mids added and bass, with a heaping helping of distortion, it was better. Still didn't cop any Malmsteen tone in any settings.

Now - this is the longest I have ever played the scalloped board. Honestly, it did not seem that rough to get a handle on. I had some challenges with first few frets as I'd press too hard. But after the 5th fret, I could play it just fine. Might have been me, or the guitar.

I think I'd have no problem getting used to one.
    Last edited by Aceman; 01-17-2021, 06:35 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Depending on the price it might be a good neck donor if the scallop was done well. Because scalloped necks aren't easy to come by.
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 01-17-2021, 02:59 PM.

Comment

honestly the color doesn't look that far off. most real malmsteen strats i've played have been that same buttery yellow as opposed to most fender whites/off whites.

as far as the rest, as long as it is structurally sound, new tuners and new pickups will make that thing a real beast. I have an aliexpress les paul that i did those 2 things to and it is a really sweet guitar for the $230 or whatever i paid for it.
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Squier

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
          The real thing is only $1,750.
          Well then, let me buy 2.

Comment

i'd be happier with the $188 knock off tbh

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
              Depending on the price it might be a good neck donor if the scallop was done well. Because scalloped necks aren't easy to come by.
              Considering how bad the fretwork is on inexpensive guitars I would bet the scallop work is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                i'd be happier with the $188 knock off tbh
                Maybe put Malmsteen on the headstock instead of Fender
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Considering how bad the fretwork is on inexpensive guitars I would bet the scallop work is horrible.
                  I would have to ask what is "excellent" scallop work? Seemed fine to me, but I'm no scallop guy. Deep enough, frets seemed ok. Polishing would be easy on this...

As wood work goes, seemed fine. Not stupid deep, not too light, symmetrical from fret to fret. Smoot surface - not just route/sanded and left, it was finished. Inlays smooth.

Comment

If you say so

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I would have to ask what is "excellent" scallop work?
                      if it's convex instead of concave, they did it wrong!

Comment

A real Yngwie Strat is pretty remarkable. For wall art, I bet it is fine. For an actual guitar being used in a band situation, get a Squier and put a Warmoth scalloped neck on it.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                          The real thing is only $1,750.
                          Because, what's an extra 0 between manufacturers?

Comment

What's on those pickup covers? Fake noiseless label?
                            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

hahahaha - they said "Masarati"

Comment

Working...
                              X