• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
    Squier
    This kills me every time!

Comment

Scalloped boards used to scare the hell out of me. Was always scared i'd somehow become dependant on it. After trying one (and ultimately deciding to purchase one) I realized it was no big deal. If anything, a scalloped board is harder for me to play on, but I wouldn't even go that far. Just feels like using massive frets and I honestly rarely even think about it when playing my YJM.

Comment

I think I almost liked it better than massive frets. with massive frets I somehow feel like "I can almost get to the board....if I just press a little harder....

With the Scallop - no chance no way.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Valid point

Comment

Scallops are very different than big frets. My main guitar is scalloped, and I just ordered another Warmoth neck with scalloped board (for a new project). I've been using a scalloped neck for over 25 years. It does make bending a whole lot easier, and it took about 20 seconds to get used to.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What defines a "good" scalloped neck, to you, Dave?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                What defines a "good" scalloped neck, to you, Dave?
                Well, the same thing that defines a good neck, really. Scalloping is not a mystery...just dig out the wood between frets. But put say, a Squier next to a Music Man neck, and you feel a difference. One is absolutely better feeling.

Comment

hahahaha - they said "Masarati"
                  the pup covers said masarati? HAHAHAHA thats great

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

the pup covers said masarati? HAHAHAHA thats great
                    especially for a guy known to love Ferraris...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Well, the same thing that defines a good neck, really. Scalloping is not a mystery...just dig out the wood between frets. But put say, a Squier next to a Music Man neck, and you feel a difference. One is absolutely better feeling.
                      Like I said - I will not defend the durability, long term stability and quality of construction. Who knows if the truss even works. Although I suspect it does. Neck was a medium/fat C shape I'd say. Didn't love it, didn't hat it.

And of course, feel of neck is more preference than anything. Never played one that didn't work...

Comment

I have used necks that I wasn't very confident in, with tiny frets and terrible fretwork, not to mention the cheap nut.

Comment

I have 7 les pauls/lp style guitars, running the gamut from a Gibson Les Paul Custom to a Chibson knock off. Obviously you get what you pay for, but the aliexpress guitars aren't nearly as bad as people like to pretend they are.
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I just love that color. Nothing useful to add.

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                              I have 7 les pauls/lp style guitars, running the gamut from a Gibson Les Paul Custom to a Chibson knock off. Obviously you get what you pay for, but the aliexpress guitars aren't nearly as bad as people like to pretend they are.
                              It should absolutely be illegal. The ethics of it are not in question period.

But also...The issue is did that money incorrectly go to Ali vs Gibson. That can't be believed. No one buys a $400 custom color Les Paul believing it was actually a Gibson, or that "but for that Chibson" Gibson would have made $400 more. They wouldn't. Not saying unsuspecting people don't end up with them....they do. And that is wrong.

However - a reasonable question is "How DOES it compare?" 20 years ago? Crap - no question. 10 years - getting better.... Today: One HAS to ask. How does it compare to the real thing. While most Gibsons have decent or better fretwork, as I always say, for $3k I expect to have to put it under a microscope to find a problem, and we know that isn't the case.

Ask the Auto industry how that model works. Japanese cars, and more recently, Korean were crap. Now there are NO 100% US cars. they ALL have an average of $12k of foreign parts in them. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hundai RULE. As will the Alicaster one day.

Quality talks, BS walks, price is king, the market will speak. Ignore it at your peril.

Comment

It should absolutely be illegal. The ethics of it are not in question period.

However - a reasonable question is "How DOES it compare?" 20 years ago? Crap - no question. 10 years - getting better.... Today: One HAS to ask. How does it compare to the real thing. While most Gibsons have decent or better fretwork, as I always say, for $3k I expect to have to put it under a microscope to find a problem, and we know that isn't the case.

Ask the Auto industry how that model works. Japanese cars, and more recently, Korean were crap. Now there are NO 100% US cars. they ALL have an average of $12k of foreign parts in them. Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hundai RULE. As will the Alicaster one day.
                                i'm not here to debate the ethics of it at all. i think that side of the equation is pretty cut and dry.

but as far as workmanship, they're fine. when i got mine, i a/b'ed it stock against an epiphone LPC. I thought the epi sounded better, but the chibson felt better. So i swapped the pickups and the chibson was better. but to be fair i've changed the pickups in 3 of my 4 gibbys, and in my fgn and orville les paul too. i don't think a gibson is a fair comparison, but it was in line with most epi offerings for sure

you played the yngwie, like you said, it was no USA fender...but if you were told it was a squier yngwie, would you believe it? genuinely curious.
                                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Working...
                                X