Fake 59 Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake 59 Gibson

What do you guys think of a Luthier building 59 Les Paul models with Gibson on the headstock?
    . I think it's kind of shady.

i mean, its illegal isnt it? ive seen guys do it but they made notes inside the control cavity so you could easily tell it wasnt a gibson or vintage if you opened it up. anyone who knows anything will be able to spot a fake '59 before they drop stupid money on it. a custom build 59 lp copy for $5k is fine, if someone is trying to pawn it off as a real one then they should be set alight with their guitar

Comment

It is. Then I laugh knowing that Gibson themselves made a clone of a clone of a Gibson, Slash's Derrig Les Paul.

Comment

I think it is even weird that a player would want that, knowing it isn't real. But I am constantly astounded by people's choices, so...
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

They're beautiful guitars but why wouldn't this guy put his own name on them?

Comment

I think it's super groovy, for personal use, or sale on the used market with full disclosure. Otherwise, it's fraudulent.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Not only is it shady, it is a violation of the 1976 Copyright Act (infringing on Gibson's name brand and intellectual property - the Gibson Name) and the person making it, along with anyone possessing it, would be sued by Gibson if their lawyers ever found out.

It would be cheaper to buy 3 of Gibson's most expensive guitars than to pay that lawsuit out. lol

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                They're beautiful guitars but why wouldn't this guy put his own name on them?
                Like Gil Yaron?

it’s so funny how irrational humans are. If a luthier could guarantee an exact copy of a 1959 Les Paul, made with lumber from the era, pickups and electronics from a gibson of that era and the exact glues, dyes and finishes.... but the headstock had to look like an Epiphone and the body had a slight tweak at the cutaway, more players than not would pass in favor of the one that says Gibson and has the exact shapes. I mean, I do it with Strats.... Suhrs are amazing guitars but that beak headstock would make me think twice if I was ever going to drop $3500 on a Strat.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Like Gil Yaron?

it’s so funny how irrational humans are. If a luthier could guarantee an exact copy of a 1959 Les Paul, made with lumber from the era, pickups and electronics from a gibson of that era and the exact glues, dyes and finishes.... but the headstock had to look like an Epiphone and the body had a slight tweak at the cutaway, more players than not would pass in favor of the one that says Gibson and has the exact shapes. I mean, I do it with Strats.... Suhrs are amazing guitars but that beak headstock would make me think twice if I was ever going to drop $3500 on a Strat.
                  Gil Yaron is one of them, Steve Hague is another.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                    What do you guys think of a Luthier building 59 Les Paul models with Gibson on the headstock?
                    . I think it's kind of shady.
                    Some people get a thrill out of lying.

The guy who commisions a guitar like that, was bragging to his buddy that he has one of those, probably a unique/rare variant. His buddy says, "nah man, there were only 50 of those made."

To which the guy calls the builder and has him build one of those with Gibson on the headstock, just so he can prove his buddy wrong.

I have seen people spend thousands of dollars just to prove a point and win a "bet". There are some phenomenally defective people in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                      I like guitars that are exactly what they appear to be.
                      This is how I feel and the Top-L you are absolutely correct, there are some seriously defective people in this world.

Comment

Not to mention that a legit Gibson would have both a Serial Number and Factory Order Number, so a little detective work will quickly flush out the fakes from the real deals.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Like Gil Yaron?

I feel you. Sometimes I think that we guitar players get a little too hung up on aesthetics, but then I think about how if I'm going to be dropping a lot of cash on a guitar, it better damned well tick all the boxes, both sonically and aesthetically.

I'm in the camp that thinks too much stock is put into voodoo and other minute specs and peculiarities (or maybe my ears have just been walloped enough from playing live that I can't tell) - i.e., good (not necessarily great) pickups in a decent guitar that plays well, plugged into a good amp is 99.9% of your tone - and that a good portion of what you're paying for is craftsmanship, playability and aesthetics, so I say looks are pretty important if you're dropping over $1,000 on a guitar.
                          DayGlo

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I think it is even weird that a player would want that, knowing it isn't real. But I am constantly astounded by people's choices, so...
                            I dunno . . . Slash did OK playing his knock-off Gibson in Guns N'Roses.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	61O0IgJ4--L._AC_SX425_.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	6049526

Who cares ?
                              Most people on planet earth have real problems.
                              Guitars/toys are luxury first world problems.
                              250 years ago they made copies of Stradivarius violins, making copies is hardly anything new.
                              Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-19-2021, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X