Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jeremy
    replied
    cleaning the slot before anything else is a good idea. building up the slot if its too low works well too as do the staggered tuners if you just need a smaller adjustment. sperzel tuners are staggered too, at least all mine are

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    replied
    Thanks for the responses. It's a new guitar, so I'd prefer to try small fixes first. Didn't have this issue from the factory, nor when I put on my own strings, but with the second set of new strings it started acting a little funny in this way. I suppose I could try a bit of paper in the slot - that's worked in a pinch on another guitar. And pulling the string out of the slot to rest on the non-slotted part of the nut (and tuning to pitch) also makes it ring true.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    If your nut slot is too low, take the strings off and put a dab of 2 part epoxy in the offending slot. You might have to repeat it a couple times, but you can build the height back up very easily like this and epoxy rings out just like bone.

It's also possible to get 6 inline staggered tuners that will increase your string break angle without needing a tree:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	6K1GL0B-STAGGERED_1800x.jpg?v=1553110528.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	6049540
    (These are from hipshot . . . not sure if someone else makes them)

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    adding a string tree shouldnt really wear the nut much if any faster. i dont know if id use the B string tree for the G string

Leave a comment:

• alex1fly
    started a topic Break angle --> nut slot wear?

Break angle --> nut slot wear?

Has anyone experienced accelerated nut slot wear as a result of an extreme string break angle? I think the answer is "yes", so its like more a matter of "by how much".

The guitar in question here is a Tele with a synthetic bone nut and a string tree on the high E and B strings. The G string sounds "choked" or "muted" when played open. Been battling it for a couple weeks. This morning I detuned the G, pushed it under the string tree for the B string, and tuned it back up - voila, it rings like a bell. So I'm considering grabbing a second string tree, or a triple string tree, to address the issue.

Will adding a string tree for the G wear out its nut slot faster than if it had no string tree? What about just putting it under the B string's tree - would the additional downward and sideways pressure accelerate the wear on the nut slot?
Working...
X