Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash vs alder body tele

What's the difference?

Some would say that alder has slightly more mids, and it is slightly heavier. Ash looks nicer with clear finishes. All of this depends on the particular piece of wood, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

IMO probably not a big difference. Both of them will be rugged and bright. The neck joint on a Telecaster is more rigid than on a strat style body, so they are a bit less sensitive to the properties of the wood used. I should add that its only my opinion, because I know a lot of people don't agree with me!

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
        The neck joint on a Telecaster is more rigid than on a Strat style body . . .
        I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am curious as to why this would be. The two joints look pretty similar to me. Just wondering.

Comment

The Tele neck joint is a little squarer, but I don't know if that makes a measurable difference.

Comment

As a general rule ash is brighter with more scooped mids and slightly more percussive lows, alder has more mids. Swamp ash will usually be lighter than alder, hard ash with be heavier. Hard ash will be brighter than swamp ash, similar to hard maple. FWIW, the original Frankie was hard ash.

As I mentioned, everything I said is "general rules" wood is an organic material, there will always be exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
              What's the difference?
              The wood used in the body.

*End Thread*

As far as sonic differences . . . that totally depends on the piece of wood. The density and hardness of ash varies a huge amount. It's quite an inconsistent wood. After finishing an ash body, I can definitively say that it's a real ***** to pore fill.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                As a general rule ash is brighter with more scooped mids and slightly more percussive lows, alder has more mids. Swamp ash will usually be lighter than alder, hard ash with be heavier. Hard ash will be brighter than swamp ash, similar to hard maple.

As I mentioned, everything I said is "general rules" wood is an organic material, there will always be exceptions.
                this is my experience too.

Comment

As a general rule ash is brighter with more scooped mids and slightly more percussive lows, alder has more mids. Swamp ash will usually be lighter than alder, hard ash with be heavier. Hard ash will be brighter than swamp ash, similar to hard maple. FWIW, the original Frankie was hard ash.

Ash...specifically Northern Ash. Very well described above by devastone...particularly awesome with a Maple Fretboard neck as evidence by the example of the Original EVH Frankie. Plus it looks awesome with a trans/clear finish. I've built a few Ash Bodied SuperTeles....

Last edited by muttznmongrelz; 01-20-2021, 01:45 PM.
                  MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                  1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                  1988 Kramer Nightswan
                  1989 Charvel Sambora
                  2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                  Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                  Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I am curious as to why this would be. The two joints look pretty similar to me. Just wondering.
                    My logic is based on "Double cut" vs "Single cut". The additional material on the upper bout of the Telecaster is serving to support the neck joint and increase the rigidity.

Anecdotally, I have tried neck humbuckers and strat sized pickups in strats and tele bodies with identical spec necks. An Alder Tele body has high chance of being brighter than an Ash Strat body. So IMO its actually the shape of the body that contributes to the difference in tone between Strats and Teles. Fairly obviously the lack of tremolo will make a difference as well. Such small differences are probably not noticeable in a lot of real life situations.
                    Last edited by Teleplayer; 01-21-2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post

Ash...specifically Northern Ash. Very well described above by devastone...particularly awesome with a Maple Fretboard neck as evidence by the example of the Original EVH Frankie. Plus it looks awesome with a trans/clear finish. I've built a few Ash Bodied SuperTeles....
                      Dude, those teles seriously rock, especially #2, I may have to drive down to Littleton sometime.

Comment

I don't know what the differences are, I just know that the Butterscotch Blonde ones are the ones that always sound the best.

hehe

Comment

Alder is cheap and widely available, ash is becoming rare and has some ecological problems lately

I like alder, even without taking into account the environmental factor or the price. Nice and bright and resonant. Always fairly lightweight.
                          "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I have an alder guitar, and one of northern ash, and one of swamp ash. To me, the tone of the alder is the best. But that is just one component in a system.

Comment

Dude, those teles seriously rock, especially #2, I may have to drive down to Littleton sometime.
                              Thank you! Appreciate it. Hey; if you're down the way sometime hit me up. I only have the first one in the pics now but I'm building out a 2013 Charvel Pro Mod So Cal Maple Neck with a Two Piece Center Joined Maple Single Angled Humbucker Telecaster Body at current. Toying with a 5150 finish on it.

MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
                              1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                              1988 Kramer Nightswan
                              1989 Charvel Sambora
                              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
                              Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
                              Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X