banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Squier 2021 Contemporary Strat Special (SS-S): Gimmick or Genius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squier 2021 Contemporary Strat Special (SS-S): Gimmick or Genius?

I'm fascinated with the new Squier strat specials:

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier...370230506.html

The middle pickup is shifted toward the bridge, right up against the bridge pickup, for "a unique variety of dynamically responsive settings." I assume there's no special switching going on, just a moved middle.

I can't decide whether my obsession is just with the look, or if the shifted pickup actually serves a purpose. What advantages or different sounds would this open up? And has anyone here played a similar configuration?

robbie robertson did that on his strat(s) in the 70s. there is special switching on those squires which i would probably rip out and wire it normally with a push/pull for putting the bridge & middle in series.

Comment

Ah, I see it now in the fine print:

Position 1. Bridge and Middle (Series, Hum-Cancelling), 2. Middle, 3. Middle and Neck (Parallel), 4. Bridge, Middle and Neck, 5. Neck

I'd probably do the same. Never been a fan off all three at once.

Comment

me neither and id like the bridge by itself as well as the normal bridge/middle in parallel setting

Comment

Kinda looks like something one of us would cook up.

---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

No bridge by itself is lame, but I’d trade bridge/middle parallel for series.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Steve Morse did something similar, although the bridge pickup was a humbucker. I am intrigued. I am wondering if there is a series option with those 2 pickups.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Heck, yank the stock stuff and put in whatever floats your boat. I'd go with Lace Sensor or Bill Lawrence units for something studio quiet and plenty of sounds for the stage.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I really like this idea. You can do 2 neck pickups too if you're more of a neck pickup guy and get 2 variations of ur favorite pup position. I want to experiment more with this but my guitars are tied up with other pickguards at the moment. I'm sure I'll continue with this idea tho. I just wired the 5 way switch like normal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	new pickguard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.2 KB ID:	6049944
                  Last edited by Clint 55; 01-21-2021, 12:29 AM.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I say genius
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In any case, any variation of a Strat is to be celebrated these days. They have re-mixed so many different features, there is no way to keep all of the models straight.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        In any case, any variation of a Strat is to be celebrated these days. They have re-mixed so many different features, there is no way to keep all of the models straight.
                        That's how I felt when I saw this. Between this and the Paranormals, I'm glad to see Fender finally mixing it up instead of wallowing in the minutiae of body profiles and neck specs.

It's also really refreshing to hear that some of you guys like the bridge on its own. I thought I was a weirdo for liking that sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Mononoaware View Post
                          It's also really refreshing to hear that some of you guys like the bridge on its own. I thought I was a weirdo for liking that sound.
                          As long as it has at least a little more ass than the neck and middle, I love the Strat bridge pickup sound, single or humbucker. If you’re into modern blues, Kirk Fletcher is typically a Strat guy who rides the bridge pickup.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Can't complain about the matching headstock and body color (at least on the black model)
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I think the configuration is a great innovation (though I've known about this and wanted to try it since Robbie Robertson did it), and pointed this one out in the 'next guitar' thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X