Kramer SM-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer SM-1

I just ordered a new Kramer SM-1 in Candy Blue this AM, hopefully it will be here on Saturday, we'll see.

Anyway, this thing comes loaded with a JB in the Bridge and a set of cool rails in the middle and neck. The Kramer also has a mini-toggle for coil splitting allowing the bridge to be added to whichever combo, a 5 way blade switch and a Treble Bleed option on the master volume.

I did a search and did not find anything on this Ax. Does anyone on here have any experience with this or opinions about how the JB and the cool rails might work together in this platform?

I currently have a JB/Jazz Hotrodder setup in my LP and I cannot rave on the JB enough, so I'm excited to hear this new set up.
    GIJoeJarhead
    Semi-Newb, still trying to learn as much as I can!!

RWG LP w/ SD JB/Jazz Combo
    Mitchel MD400 w/ SD Pearly Gate/Duckbucker combo
    HLK Southern Belle (Tele) w/SD 1/4 lb/Tele Pickup combo
    Fender Acoustic/Electric

GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Congrats on the new 6 string. I like the color of that one, very nice
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Thanks HSB, appreciate it. The Candy Blue was my first choice . . . I almost switched over to the Orange Crush, but they are out of stock until Mid-April time frame. My first Kramer and my very first true 80's style shred machine, so I'm pumped to get my hands on it. Never had an FR before, so I'm kinda anxious about really bending on this thing, but all reviews state it can handle it.
        Do you have any experience with SD Cool Rail pickups?
        GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Nice! Congrats. Pretty much a redo of the original 80s Kramer Stagemaster.
          MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
          1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
          1988 Kramer Nightswan
          1989 Charvel Sambora
          2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
          Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
          Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

Cool, thanks. Yeah, I love the 80's style Kramer's, EVH was my guitar playing inspiration. I don't know if that is where the SM comes from (possibly), nothing on the SW Site where I ordered it says anything about "Stagemaster."
            GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by GIJoeJarhead View Post
              Cool, thanks. Yeah, I love the 80's style Kramer's, EVH was my guitar playing inspiration. I don't know if that is where the SM comes from (possibly), nothing on the SW Site where I ordered it says anything about "Stagemaster."
              MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
              1988 Kramer Nightswan
              1989 Charvel Sambora
              2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Very cool . . . I was on Kramer's site and didn't see anything about specific older models, but that is some cool reading. Yeah, I would say the SM is definitely Gibson/Kramer's hail back to those older Stagemaster models, makes sense! I'm excited to get the new ax!!
                GIJoeJarhead

Fender Acoustic/Electric

Comment

You won't find anything about vintage Kramers from back in the day on the current site (Gibson owned). Not even MusicYo Era stuff. Everything on there now is from when Gibson relaunched the brand to present.

The SM-1 is nice. Not my cup of tea from the lineup but I see the appeal.

Comment

The Cool Rails is like the single coil-size version of the Jazz. So, thinking like that, it is like a JB with 2 Jazz pickups. It would be a classic setup. It is ready to rock. Can't wait for the pics and review!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Really cool! I played an Indonesian-made Jersey Star in a store two days ago, and whilst the neck wood and finish obviously weren't as nice as they were on the vintage Kramers, the sound and the feel was there. Of course, these cost 1145$ in 2021 rather than 1245$ in 1987! Let us know what you think when you receive it.

Comment

Can't wait for an all around review!
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The modern Kramers are getting good reviews for what they are. I don't know how they would compete with an actual USA late 80s Kramer, which were good instruments.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've seen a couple of the 2015 Limited Edition Heavy Maple Body Pacers (Metal Flake Red and Metal Flake Green) and they were top notch quality, assembly and set up with Duncans and a Floyd and was very impressed...almot to the point of purchasing the Bassboat Metal Flake Red one. The new Nightswan...only had my hands on one but it was JUNK.. weighed nothing and felt like a First Act toy guitar, had paint flaws, strings were misaligned on the fretboard and the frets had severely sharp edges...I was not impressed in any way.
                            MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
                            1988 Kramer Nightswan
                            1989 Charvel Sambora
                            2016 Warmoth Hellacaster

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by muttznmongrelz View Post
                              I've seen a couple of the 2015 Limited Edition Heavy Maple Body Pacers (Metal Flake Red and Metal Flake Green) and they were top notch quality, assembly and set up with Duncans and a Floyd and was very impressed...almot to the point of purchasing the Bassboat Metal Flake Red one. The new Nightswan...only had my hands on one but it was JUNK.. weighed nothing and felt like a First Act toy guitar, had paint flaws, strings were misaligned on the fretboard and the frets had severely sharp edges...I was not impressed in any way.
                              The Nightswans (and in particularly the early ones) seem to be the ones to garner the most negative criticism. It is strange, because you'd think that was the model they were the most concerned with getting right. If you are to judge from the online consensus, it looks like the newer ones are somewhat better, but that could just be a change in who are buying them. I doubt I'll ever have the chance to play one, as I don't think there are any more of them than the JS mentioned above available in Norwegian stores at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X