Saddle width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle width

What would I be screwing up if I traded 10.2 mm saddles for 10.8 mm saddles?

Make sure you will still have enough space either side of the strings to stay on the neck as it will put the outer strings closer to the edges and of course widen the space between each string.

Check carefully if the saddles will actually fit as they may well not, depending on the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
      Make sure you will still have enough space either side of the strings to stay on the neck as it will put the outer strings closer to the edges and of course widen the space between each string.

Check carefully if the saddles will actually fit as they may well not, depending on the bridge.
      Those are pretty much the only things I had thought of, It looks like I have just barely enough room on the neck, not enough to be comfortable with.. one of the things I hate worst is pulling a string off the fretboard.
      . I'm going to try to find a machine shop to shave them down a hair just to be safe.

Comment

Might be a mistake. I tried to replace saddles on a Pacifica and the replacement ones I got were slightly wider than the stock ones... as you might guess, 5 saddles would fit but the 6th would not. I got a second set of replacement saddles in a smaller size, still wouldn't fit the 6th saddle. From that experience I'd wager that direct replacements are going to be a better bet. It's amazing what a few millimeters can do to throw off the entire instrument.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
          Might be a mistake. I tried to replace saddles on a Pacifica and the replacement ones I got were slightly wider than the stock ones... as you might guess, 5 saddles would fit but the 6th would not. I got a second set of replacement saddles in a smaller size, still wouldn't fit the 6th saddle. From that experience I'd wager that direct replacements are going to be a better bet. It's amazing what a few millimeters can do to throw off the entire instrument.
          No kidding, it's an extra .30 or .36 mm across the span depending on the math.

Comment

why not just get properly sized saddles?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              why not just get properly sized saddles?
              I don't know where to look, I want brass saddles. It's an import guitar

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

No kidding, it's an extra .30 or .36 mm across the span depending on the math.
                Actually, it's about 3mm wider overall, nearly 1/3 the width of a 10.2mm saddle. What guitar/bridge are these saddles going on?

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Actually, it's about 3mm wider overall, nearly 1/3 the width of a 10.2mm saddle. What guitar/bridge are these saddles going on?
                  An ROC made Tagima TW55. The saddles I want to use probably fit Mexican and USA teles.

Comment

10.3 mm here, but pricey like a whole new bridge

I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                      10.3 mm here, but pricey like a whole new bridge

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-ha...-set-of-6.html
                      Thanks, I'll have to look to see if they have brass as well.

Comment

those are chrome plated brass saddles

Comment

those are chrome plated brass saddles
                          Ah.. I didn't even read it, I just saw that they were chrome. That should work then right, .1mm bigger per saddle?

Comment

yeah, that should be fine.

Comment

yeah, that should be fine.
                              Woo Hoo. Excellent, thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X