Considering a new guitar... Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering a new guitar... Opinions?

I want something to scratch a Stratocaster itch, but I think I want something that with a splittable bridge humbucker to satisfy 80s cravings, but I have no desire for a flashy Ibanez. Definitely not looking to spend a ton of money. Suggestions?

Definitely a Pacifica. Depends on your budget, you could get used series with Duncans as OEM.

Comment

Maybe a Charvel? What's you budget?
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Kind of thinking around $600 max used.

Comment

For $600 there is a host of guitars that should interest you. Now is the Golden Age of affordable guitars. If you're not into Ibanez, there is plenty to choose from. Even PRS makes a Strat now (probably priced over your target, unfortunately).
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I went Jackson for the same reasons as OP. I got a Zebrawood with gold hardware, so while the head is pointy, the rest of it has some class and doesn't look flashy/shreddy.

Comment

Buy a strat and mod it, or buy a modded strat
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I 2nd the Pacifica, or grab a used MIM Strat to mod. At that price, there are a bunch of well-made instruments out there, and even more if you consider used.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

At that budget, you have a whole catalogue of different brand models to choose from. It will depend on your choice of woods, pickup configurations , fret number and bridge type.

Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

HSS Strat and split the stock bridge HB or replace with a well-regarded splittable HB (JB?) should do the trick.

If you want to deviate from Fender/Squier, figure out which parts of the Strat craving you want to cure. Is it the notch tones? The tremolo? The feel of the neck? The color?

I played a Strat pretty exclusively from 2000-2019. These days I get my Stratty fix from a Telecaster and a PRS SE Custom. To me the Tele neck sound is very similar to the Strat neck sound, so I'm happy there. The SE Custom gives me the floating tremolo and has nice splittable humbuckers, and is just slightly fatter-sounding and easier to play than the old Fender - which were my two long-standing beefs with the Strat.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Jackson Adrian Smith SDX? HSS with a non-recessed Floyd. Nothing garish or pointy, but does 80s rock as well as versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                        Jackson Adrian Smith SDX? HSS with a non-recessed Floyd. Nothing garish or pointy, but does 80s rock as well as versatility.
                        Oh, that looks like something that might fit the bill. Now to wait for a used one to show up...

Do the MIM Strats have a route big enough to fit a bridge humbucker?

Comment

Every one I've seen has a humbucker route for the bridge.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What about something like the ESP LTD SN200T? They run $399 new, would need a pickup upgrade and possibly a new switch to do the bridge split.

There is also a FR version for another $50

1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Take a look at some of the 80's Roadster IIs from Ibanez. They are very nice and not "flashy" by any standard. Most of them have the coil-split built-in. These MIJ guitars play like beasts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Road...kAAOSwjqVZCiZ-
                              Last edited by Securb; 01-27-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X