Tips for a Splatter Finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a Splatter Finish?

I asked a similar question a while ago, but still looking for suggestions. I recently got my hands on a guitar with a nice black poly finish on it from the factory. I'd really like to create a finish similar to the Custom Shop Washburn shown below.

Any idea what type of white paint will stick to the poly, be opaque enough, and "drip" similar to this without building up too thick?

It looks like maybe they had black as the base, then put white and later more black splatter over it. Thoughts?

How did they get it so flat and even at the end? Were they using really thin paint?

Any input is appreciated

Last edited by Masta' C; 01-27-2021, 01:56 PM.

They got it flat by sanding it back until the whole surface was flat, and then spraying clear.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Is that black splatter over white splatter over black?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

It looks like a lot of white splatter over black with a little more black splatter on top of that
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Or now that I look at it, it could be a drizzle of white over black combined with light splattering of white and black. You can probably get a similar pattern by slows drizzling paint out of a cup and then waving brushes of black and white paint on top of it
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

dishwashing liquid and water
            straight on with pump sprayer
            spray white on while wet with soap
            let dry
            rinse with water

clear
            lots and lots of clear

those are soap bubbles in that finish
            Last edited by ehdwuld; 01-27-2021, 04:41 PM.
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              dishwashing liquid and water
              straight on with pump sprayer
              spray white on while wet with soap
              let dry
              rinse with water

clear
              lots and lots of clear

those are soap bubbles in that finish
              Soap?! Hmm...you really think so?

So, you're thinking they painted it black, soaped the body and then sprayed it white while it was wet?

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                Or now that I look at it, it could be a drizzle of white over black combined with light splattering of white and black. You can probably get a similar pattern by slows drizzling paint out of a cup and then waving brushes of black and white paint on top of it
                I hadn't thought about the cup drizzle/drip method

Comment

The soap and water cause the bubbles ( the small round circles ) and streaking

It may have been white and sprayed black
                  EHD

Comment

It might be something like this. I'm not sure what the technique is called, but I've seen it used for guitars and auto parts. It's like a "dip", with the paint floating on some kind of fluid. (Oil, maybe.)

Like shown here:

I created this video with the YouTube Video Editor (http://www.youtube.com/editor)I use Swirling Paint from Magic Marble Paints. No Borax used.This guitar ga...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                      It might be something like this. I'm not sure what the technique is called, but I've seen it used for guitars and auto parts. It's like a "dip", with the paint floating on some kind of fluid. (Oil, maybe.)

Like shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FfsdvuRqew
                      Nope, that's not a swirl.

Comment

Definitely not a swirl finish. Those end up like this, which can be cool, but very different:

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                          It may have been white and sprayed black
                          Well, that would suck! What I really dig is the large amount of white. It looks so good!

I was really hoping I could pull it off over a black guitar. I don't have a lot of painting experience or spraying tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                            Definitely not a swirl finish. Those end up like this, which can be cool, but very different:
                            Yup. I can see that now.

Comment

get a can of black gloss
                              and white gloss

scrap wood
                              try it

practice a bit
                              EHD

Comment

Working...
                              X