How do you play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you play?

Just curious what the most popular methods of sounding strings are.

Me personally, I flatpick 95% of the time . . . always been interested in fingerpicking on acoustic, and have recently been trying to incorporate a little more hybrid picking into all my guitar work.
    Pick
    68.97%
    Fingerstyle
    6.90%
    Hybrid Picking
    6.90%
    Mix of Pick + Hybrid pretty evenly
    10.34%
    Mix of Fingerstyle + Pick pretty evenly
    6.90%
    Chapman stick two handed legato craziness
    0%
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Plain fingers
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Hybrid for me, pretty regularly.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm only interested in pick lol. I think the other styles are cool but if I could rip what I wanted with just pick be it jazz or metal I would be hella happy.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

For me, depends on the song.

Comment

Michael Angelo Batio picking style.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

i use a pick, i hybrid pick, and i play just with my fingers. i switch back and forth all the time, mid song, even mid solo. i almost always play slide with my fingers. ive become very adapt at palming my pick and pulling it back into playing position with almost no thought

Comment

I play guitar about 50/50 pick & fingers, and bass fingers about 95%. I like the idea of hybrid picking, but I can't get my ring finger to uncurl properly if I'm holding a pick.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

But the poll only allows one option

I mostly use a plectrum, (so I picked pick) but also fingerpick and very rarely dabble with hybrid, which I hope to learn properly in the future.

Comment

I play mostly in the style like Wes Montgomery, using my thumbnail as a pick. Mind you . . . I don't play like Wes Montgomery. Just use his style, because, so far, I've never dropped my thumb.

Comment

I play nearly exclusively with a pick, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about this dumb thing I did as a beginner: I couldn't keep hold of a pick to save my life, so I developed this technique where I held my thumb and forefinger as though I were holding a pick (even though I wasn't) and then played like that, with the tip/nail of my index finger striking the strings.

I kept that up for literally YEARS.

Anytime else ever do anything that dumb, repeatedly?
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Pick with a little finger now and then sometimes on clean parts.
                        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Don't really have a good option for me.
                          • I travis pick with a pick between thumb and 1 and fingerpick with 2,3 and sometimes 4 about 1/2 of the time.
                          • Straight Flat Pick 1/4 of the time
                          • Two Handed Craziness 1/4
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Mostly pick (for metal, rock, funk, blues) but I'll go fingerstyle for some jazz and bossa at times.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                              I play nearly exclusively with a pick, but that's not what I want to talk about.

I want to talk about this dumb thing I did as a beginner: I couldn't keep hold of a pick to save my life, so I developed this technique where I held my thumb and forefinger as though I were holding a pick (even though I wasn't) and then played like that, with the tip/nail of my index finger striking the strings.

I kept that up for literally YEARS.

Anytime else ever do anything that dumb, repeatedly?
                              Thats hilarious, I used to do the same thing, for the same reason. When I was a kid the music store was an hour away and i was lucky if i could convince a parent once a month to take me. So i spent waayy too much time playing like that. TBT I still do it, rarely but there are moments usually in music stores when i just want to strum something for a second and ill do it.

Side note to this, this problem was cured for the most part when i was 15 my girlfriend at the time bought me a gross of 144x2mm Dunlop delrin picks, I still have some over 25 years later...
                              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Working...
                              X