No announcement yet.

Guitar Skins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that is what I am talking about. It is far from a DIY thing, but I can see companies selling less expensive imports like this and the look will rival those custom painted Charvels I used to drool over. Most people looking for guitars like that, in that price range, are not going to care how you achieve the finish, much less anyone in the audience.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why go that route when i can make you a custom guitar...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -=The Dali
      --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Well, partly because the types of high-contrast patterns I dig would probably look better as a skin, but I definitely have mad respect for the work you do!

Seriously, those all came out amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
          Why go that route when i can make you a custom guitar...?

%100
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I bet ole' Bluesman Bonamassa has at least 50 skins available.....all with his sweet initials somewhere on them
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Bonamassa signature guitar skins...if it's not a thing yet, it certainly will be

Comment

I’ll bite.

-=The Dali

Comment

that turned out pretty cool.. edit , i was refering to Masta's snake skin Vid
                  Last edited by rammer69; 02-20-2021, 08:09 AM.

Comment

The Inzane guy makes it look easy , i am sure i wouldn't have the same results, i have a yellow Se Santana, that i would like wrapped , no offence to anyone, but i hate yellow , & the guitar had more of an Orange tint in the pics when i purchased it, never bonded with it , i finally found & got an Orange 24 fret , which is what i was looking for, if i could have waited a little longer ..

Comment

I have an inexpensive guitar that has a chip in the finish (on the bottom side of the neck pickup cavity), so this thread gave me the idea to look into one of these skins as an option.

This morning I placed an order with one of the designs from the Inzane Skins company. https://www.inzaneskins.com/inzane-skins-designs.php

I like that the site has some well-made video tutorials about how to install a skin yourself.

A nice added bonus is that their products are listed on Amazon, so I was able to partially fund the purchase with an Amazon gift card that I received on Christmas.

While the Amazon site does not list every skin that the company offers, I did get confirmation from John G. by email (the owner of Inzane Skins) that they can adjust your amazon order to the one on their website that you want. I presume though that you should get that confirmation from someone at Inzane before you actually place the order.

Last two cool factors about working with John at Inzane so far, is that John has been very quick to respond (by email) to my different questions over the last 3 days, and he was totally agreeable to my inquiry about tweaking the color of the skin that I ordered.

Regarding the earlier question about how much an electric guitar's tone is affected by one of these skins. I asked John for his opinion on this by email. He said that it's just his opinion, but that these skins (which he says are only 1mm thick) have negligible impact on the tone of a guitar *that already has a finish*. He said as someone that has built and then painted guitars, the impact on tone happens btw when the guitar has just bare wood for a toop and when finish is added.

So, my order is placed, and it will be a few weeks before it arrives. He and I are actually still working on nailing down the color tweak to the skin. He has been emailing me samples.

I'll post pics in a few weeks when i receive the skin in the mail.
                      Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-05-2021, 03:21 PM.
                      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Very cool! Interested to see how it turns out!

What pattern are you going with?

I'm still contemplating getting a black and white one to try on an all-black guitar, but I have several other projects to finish first

Comment

Thanks!

I am going with a quilt pattern. I am asking him to change the color to something similar to a santana yellow.
                          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM.
                          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Hey - Dali - what do you make those out of???

I got an idea....
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Hey - Dali - what do you make those out of???

I got an idea....
                              Ace, I use CD Labels (the booklets) or old calendars or posters... and then cut them up and apply with spray adhesive and then clear coat with 1 or 2 coats of epoxy. I used to do spray lacquer but it took FOREVER to get complete coverage. I went to brush on poly but the finish was never satisfactory. The epoxy usually cures like a near-factory-finish and it only takes a weekend.

Got you VM.
                              -=The Dali

Comment

Ahhh - the Epoxy. There is what makes it flat/smooth.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X