Guitar Skins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Yes. Additionally, there is tbe option to change btw Singlecoil voicing and Humbucker voicing. I will definitely be tapping into that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    UPDATE: my order of the Sustainiac pickup system arrived. However, I decided I am going to install it in a different guitar. I will start a different thread about that project.

The good news is this means the guitar that will get the Inzane skin installed, moves to the front of the queue of my current in-work projects. By the end of this upcoming weekend, I expect to have the skin installed and pics and feedback to post about it.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-07-2021, 06:59 PM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Comment

I spent some time on this project tonight. Would have kept going and gotten farther but I discovered I need (but don't own) a 1/2" woodworking drill bit. And Home Depot is already closed for the night (early since it is a Sunday).

In the pic, you can see see the 2 way switch i started to add tonight, inserted into the new 1/4" drill hole from the backside... but as you can see, since the length of the shaft on the 2 way switch isn't long enough to pop all the way free and clear of the new hole, I'm going to have to drill a wider concentric shelf around that 1/4" hole, like you see on the other (stock) pot holes nearby. Hence the need for a 1/2" woodworking drill bit. I'll also be adding a 2nd 2-way switch to the right of the one in-progress.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-12-2021, 08:32 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
          I spent some time on this project tonight. Would have kept going and gotten farther but I discovered I need (but don't own) a 1/2" woodworking drill bit. And Home Depot is already closed for the night (early since it is a Sunday).

In the pic, you can see see the 2 way switch i started to add tonight, inserted into the new 1/4" drill hole from the backside... but as you can see, since the length of the shaft on the 2 way switch isn't long enough to pop all the way free and clear of the new hole, I'm going to have to drill a wider concentric shelf around that 1/4" hole, like you see on the other (stock) pot holes nearby. Hence the need for a 1/2" woodworking drill bit. I'll also be adding a 2nd 2-way switch to the right of the one in-progress.

Gave this more thought. I would need something besides a drill bit to create that concentric circle on top. Probably some type of dremel tool extension. Also realized i'd prefer to remove material on the backside, in the cavity, than here on the top side. Since its a switch and not a wider knob that needs to fit in that spot, there's no reason in this case to have the wider recess on the top side.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-14-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Seems like what I want is a Forstner bit.

Comment

yes and set the depth on your drill press so you dont go deeper than you want to

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                yes and set the depth on your drill press so you dont go deeper than you want to
                No drill press available, so just free-handing it with an electric drill. But i totally get the gist of your advice, and making it a point to only do very short durations of drilling, and constantly rechecking after each one that i am not about to go too deep.

Yesterday I started with a small investment in just a single 1/2" forstner bit for $8, which is large enough to accomodate the washers, but then discovered after some use of it last night, that i need a larger bit size to allow the body of the switch itself to fit into the recess being drilled. So went back out to the store earlier today and did the next incremental investment - $25 - and bought an 8 piece bit set but didnt have free time tonight to resume on the project. Probably tomorrow evening.

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-16-2021, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Success with the Forstner bit set this evening.

So the next time I work this project, I will be putting the skin on. Skin time is almost upon us! ;0)

Comment

That came out great!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      That came out great!
                      Thanks!

Comment

I've got some update to share on this project. The project is still in-progress and I will post some feedback after it is complete.

I got the first skin installed and felt that the shade of yellow was too pale to be a good match for the gold hardware that I want to install on the guitar. Below is a photo that shows one piece of gold hardware (a pickup cover) alongside that first skin after it was installed on the guitar. The sheet of vinyl skin that the gold pickup cover is sitting on is a different make and modelof vinyl skin that i ended up ordering as a replacement - more about that in the rest of this thread. Also, keep in mind that the shade of the skin in person is paler than what is captured by the photo.

At first I tried contacting the maker of that first skin (John Gleneicki at Inzane Skins) and asked if I could take him up on his prior offer for me to pay an additional fee so we could do further customization of the skin color, but I got no response from John after a few attempts to contact him by both email and via the Inzane Skins Facebook page.

Next I tried contacting merchant Skin Your Skunk about the custom skins option they advertise on their webpage but again could not get a reply after attempts to contact this company through the messaging feature of their website, their email address, comments on their Facebook page, and also via the Facebook Messenger app. I later saw two other people had posted on their Facebook page that they also could not get a response from this merchant after having placed a web order weeks ago and already made payment. So looks like I dodged a bullet there.

Finally, i found a different merchant who had a design like what I originally wanted and their recent online feedback showed they were still in business and had happy customers. That merchant is DesignDivil Studios out of Ireland. They sell online through both Amazon and Etsy. I used Etsy for my order.

The new skin arrived a week ago and I did the install. Now, I chose to attempt to cut the skin in a way to leave part of the binding on the body visible. This is a risky move because it is difficult to do. But i said to myself it is worth it if it works, and this particular skin was less than half the cost of the original skin, so I was ok with screwing up and having to buy another. And keeping in mind that a professional paint job costs hundreds of dollars, so even with a screw-up, i was still ahead money-wise. Well, even with it now being my 2nd time using the knifeless tape and the hobby knife, i screwed up and cut away too much of the skin on one curve of the body, ruining the whole job.

I've already ordered the replacement skin from DesignDivil and it is currently in transit. When I attempt the next install, I will forego trying to cut the skin just-so to leave the binding exposed. I'll also post about the final result and the pros and cons I learned about the process.

While I am not happy about the delays and difficulties, i do think that the 2nd skin I wound up with is better looking than the first Inzane Skins product I started with.

So, more to come.... hopefully shortly...

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 10-14-2021, 09:36 AM.

Comment

That new skin definitely looks the part! I really like where this is going.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the other vendors. Be sure to leave feedback/Google reviews to help other players.

With the binding, I think it is a good idea to plan the cut to occur in the middle of the binding, so you have some wiggle room, rather than trying to attempt to expose the entire binding perfectly. Just a thought.

Thanks for the update! Excited to see the final product!

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                            That new skin definitely looks the part! I really like where this is going.

Sorry to hear about your experiences with the other vendors. Be sure to leave feedback/Google reviews to help other players.

With the binding, I think it is a good idea to plan the cut to occur in the middle of the binding, so you have some wiggle room, rather than trying to attempt to expose the entire binding perfectly. Just a thought.

Thanks for the update! Excited to see the final product!
                            Thanks M.C.

Comment

I figure you know what I'm saying, but just to help visualize it...

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                                I figure you know what I'm saying, but just to help visualize it...

Yes i do, thanks. I have a few things to say about trying to work with the knifeless tape 2 different times, once w the 1st skin and then again with the 2nd skin. But I will hold on those comments for now, so it can be part of the consolidated feedback I provide after I get the 3rd skin installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X