Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fretboard cleaner and oil

What do you use?

I have a stiff bristled nylon brush and a rag. Works great on ebony, rosewood, and maple for getting rid of crap. I used to use a small amount of dunlop freboard conditioner after cleaning my rosewood board because it would start to look lighter and unevenly dry. Eventually I figured out that a coat of Danish oil every three or four years works better.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Gerlitz Guitar Honey after I clean the crap off/polish frets with 0000 steel wool.

Yes, I put masking tape over my pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        I have a stiff bristled nylon brush and a rag. Works great on ebony, rosewood, and maple for getting rid of crap. I used to use a small amount of dunlop freboard conditioner after cleaning my rosewood board because it would start to look lighter and unevenly dry. Eventually I figured out that a coat of Danish oil every three or four years works better.
        Yeah almost the same here but no Danish oil.
        . I've always used lemon oil on all fretboards and if they were really dry some mineral oil. Lately I've been seeing a lot of people saying that lemon oil is not good for your fretboard in the long run. I'm pretty sure the Dunlop stuff you're talking about is lemon oil or has lemon oil.

Comment

Howard Feed'N'Wax and a microfiber cloth.

Howard Feed-N-Wax Oil-based Wood Polish and Conditioner (1-Pint) in the Wood Conditioners department at Lowes.com
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Yeah almost the same here but no Danish oil.
            . I've always used lemon oil on all fretboards and if they were really dry some mineral oil. Lately I've been seeing a lot of people saying that lemon oil is not good for your fretboard in the long run. I'm pretty sure the Dunlop stuff you're talking about is lemon oil or has lemon oil.
            Actual lemon oil contains solvents which can actually harm your instrument with prolonged use.
            I wouldn't put anything food-based on my guitars anyway. Risks rancidity and might even attract pests.
            Most so-called lemon products for wood (furniture or fretboards) actually are lemon-scented mineral oil which is fine.

I used Formby's Lemon Oil for furniture on my guitars over a period of decades without any ill effects.
            Mineral oil based; not sure it's made anymore. Still have half a bottle somewhere on the back shelf.
            A few years back I switched to Fret Doctor bore oil; it absorbs quickly.

Today most players understand that oiling a rosewood board is really more a cosmetic treatment than a matter of maintenence.
            And you don't need to do it very often, maybe every year or two, or when a board actually starts to look dry.
            Ebony needs it even less often. Some say not at all.
            I do my ebony boards with Feed N Wax anyway, but only at intervals of three to five years.

One thing about ebony is, it really needs to be kept well humidified. All guitar woods need this, not just acoustics.
            But ebony is particularly sensitive - it shrinks more than rosewood if it gets dried out and that can cause serious problems.
            Regrettably, I know this from costly personal experience.

Every guitar is happier when it's well-humidified.
            IMO staying on top of that is more important than oiling your fretboards.
            Of course those who dwell in humid climes don't need to worry much about it.
            Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 01-29-2021, 03:51 PM.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I use the Ernie Ball wipes, which seem to work well, as long as you wipe off the excess.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I used to use Formsby's but I ran out the last time I used it. After seeing what I did about it damaging the wood, I posted here to find an alternative.

Comment

I've used Dunlop's for years and never had a problem. If there is a lot of buildup on fretboard, I use a credit card to scrape it off.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    I've used Dunlop's for years and never had a problem. If there is a lot of buildup on fretboard, I use a credit card to scrape it off.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                    Same, and it’s pretty infrequent.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Old English lemon oil
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                        I use oil from the eyebrows of runway models.
                        Ha.. I would double like this if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                          Brunettes are better aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
                            I've only got runaway models in the freezer. Will that work too, or no?
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've only got runaway models in the freezer. Will that work too, or no?
                              How did you become the forum slasher? There must be a story behind it, self admission?

Comment

Working...
                              X