banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ola Englund's Solar guitars and Duncan Solar pups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

Mincer was speaking of the Washburn marketing, not Ola's.
    Yup. I hear Ola is good at what he does, but I don't generally watch guitar videos these days.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I find Ola completely obnoxious, but he's informative and those Solar guitars look like great value. I might try one at some point.

Comment

Ola found a way to make something work and for the heavy tones and review's from that perspective he is probably the most consistent and best thing going.

I have yet to find a hipster with a tele properly representing anything metal on any channel.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Have Indonesian guitars gotten any better? $600-1000 seems a bit steep for an Indonesian guitar. I've had Indonesian LTD's, and they have been nowhere up to par with the Korean counterparts. But maybe they're better nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Have Indonesian guitars gotten any better? $600-1000 seems a bit steep for an Indonesian guitar. I've had Indonesian LTD's, and they have been nowhere up to par with the Korean counterparts. But maybe they're better nowadays.
            My Ibanez TAM10 was great. Nothing wrong with the build quality, came with DiMarzio pickups and quality tuners.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That's true. You can have a crappy stainless fret-job just as easy as with crappy standard fret-wire.
              If I was buying one that would be my biggest concern. For a grand or more I expect frets to not require immediate attention.
              The Solar Coroner model gets me excited, and part of that is sentimental for sure. I still jam Coroner occasionally, mainly P.F.D..

Comment

The only 7-string I still own is a mid-'00s Ibanez from Indonesia. It plays incredibly well with top-notch fretwork from the factory. Biggest let-down was the factory electronics, but that was easily remedied.

Recently picked up a brand new PRS SE CU24 from Indonesia and, honestly, I grab it more often than I did any of my Core models. Granted, I had to replace the factory nut out of the gate because the slots were cut so sloppy, but that took $20 and 20 minutes of my time and now it plays exceptional! Fretwork, finish, woods used...all excellent! I've played crappier Korean-made guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

True. I'd much prefer an actual tb6 to a "based on custum5".
                  Big knock on the Washy website though. I was looking at this model and it doesn't even say what the neck-joint is, or what FR type (special, 1000, ect.)
                  How in the world do these people in marketing omit such crucial details? I see this stuff all the time from many websites.

https://www.washburn.com/product/s20fr/
                  Well, they expect you to know that FR Special has pot metal sustain block and they list this unit with nickel plated brass-> FR1000. The neck joint is surprise. Website marketing teams are horrendous these days. I thought I've seen it all with major brands having computer mockups and photoshopped strings on guitar product pages, but this one goes on the list too...

Comment

I got one of these about 2 months ago. Absolutely love it, and really dig the Solar Duncans, even though I wasn't sure I would. Anyone try the 7 string versions?

Comment

Solar stuff's been around for some years now. Some look nice, especially now that they're coming in colours other than black, white and grey.

Kinda dig this one, have to say, needs a trem though!
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Yes Solar has greatly expanded their line. I'm not much on Ola's channel or vids, but those guitars are very well styled IMO.

Comment

^Solar is based on Washburn Paralalxe Ola model with Duncans and shyte, Indonesian made but Prestige quality at rock bottom price. Now you know:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image;s=780x0;q=60.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	6123445

Views:	424
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	6123446

Views:	405
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	6123447

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

Yeah - but his YouTube is off the chain. First thing every Sunday morning, coffee and Sunday w/ Ola.
                            I would love to see Ola doing coffee reviews.

Does This Coffee Chug??
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

I would love to see Ola doing coffee reviews.

Does This Coffee Chug??
                              He has a series called "Coffee with Ola."
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                                I have yet to find a hipster with a tele properly representing anything metal on any channel.
                                Do you think there's an alternate universe where someone posted that they haven't found a metal guy with a Dual Recto properly representing indie rock?
                                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                                X