Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Improve Tape Paint Job?

Hey there fellas,

I've been experimenting with tape paint jobs and have been having several issues. The top layer and bottom layer have different textures and there is a noticeable height difference along the edge of the two colors. Also the edges aren't perfect and leave a bit of a furry edge between the two colors.

Any tips?

Is it possible to apply less paint? That would fix some of the height difference. I found that removing tape while the paint is still very wet will leave much sharper edges (but if you used too much paint you run a risk of drips).
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Use automotive tape for the design. Then use frog tape to mask large areas (don't use this for the paint edge).

The upper layers of paint will be higher. Texture is from your painting technique or mixing incompatible paints. You really should post pictures so we can see.

Sand down so you don't have an edge, then build clear coat to even the layers out.

Comment

tape
        thin clear over tape to prevent bleed
        several thin coats of color
        remove tape
        lightly sand
        three light coats of clear

all level
        done
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Is something like the EVH striped series a silk screen or an ink jet?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If you are trying to do an EVH thing then you are overthinking it. Eddie used everyday masking tape for the big stripes and automotive pinstriping for the thinner stripes. The auto tape is much thicker than masking tape. If this is not the case I would suggest going to a craft store like Michaels. That is where I went when I did the EVH job on my mailbox.

Comment

The "real" trick is to first spray your tape with the same color that you're taping over. Then the "bleed" is at least the same color, and the subsequent colors can no longer seep past the tape.

Spraying lightly and dryly is the other big thing. You don't want wet coats.

Spray angle can be important too. You don't want to propel your paint mist under the tape. You want it to land on the surface from as close to a right angle as possible.

Finally, many passes of clear coat and level sanding.

This is assuming you are going for "hot rod" stripes, that actually look good. If you want the EVH thing...then looking like garbage is part of it.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-01-2021, 01:51 PM.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

hmm
                that sounds familiar
                I read that somewhere before

just where..............?
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                X