Lincoln Brewster Strat built in boost question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Brewster Strat built in boost question

I was just reading about the Lincoln Brewster Strat, it seems like the starting point was a Clapton Strat with a few mods maybe?

Dimarzion Area pickups instead of Fender Noiseless
    2 point with stamped instead of 6 screw
    Boost that is activated with push/pull

It looks like the whole boost is bypassed with the volume down, then in the circuit with the volume pulled up. With the tone all the way down it’s a straight 10db boost, rolled all the way up it’s a 20db midrange boost.

That sounds like a Clapton boost that is bypassed, doesn’t it? If I ever do my Stack Plus w/Clapton Boost that sounds like a worthwhile mod.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

interesting. i really like the clapton boost with the stack plus set (vintage hot bridge though) but being able to turn off the preamp boost might be a nice option

Comment

Artec's QTB has up to 20db of boost and is around $30. I use the Artec QTP which is a four position frequency booster with active pickups. However, the amount of boost is highly dependent on the strength of the input signal. So you have to hit it with a pretty powerful signal to get the best results from it.

Here's a demo of the QTB. He should have shielded the guitar to cut down on noise.

Comment

my days of running an emg81 with pa2 and spc are over. i do like being able to take a low output single coil type pup and boost it and/or fatten it up like the clapton circuit does

Comment

It's too bad that Duncan quit selling their SFX-01 in-guitar stand alone circuit. The circuit foot-print was about the size of a postage stamp. I was lucky enough to snag one. I thought it might go nice in my Lipstick Tube "Surf" Strat, to give them a little more girth.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            my days of running an emg81 with pa2 and spc are over. i do like being able to take a low output single coil type pup and boost it and/or fatten it up like the clapton circuit does
            81, PA2 and SPC? Poor amp was pummeled!

The cool thing about having a bypass is that you can keep it completely out of the circuit for use with fuzzes, Univibe, treble boosters and vintage wahs, then kick it in for OD/amp boosting.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            It's too bad that Duncan quit selling their SFX-01 in-guitar stand alone circuit. The circuit foot-print was about the size of a postage stamp. I was lucky enough to snag one. I thought it might go nice in my Lipstick Tube "Surf" Strat, to give them a little more girth.
            How often do you use the lipstick Strat? Ive always thought that would be fun for real jangly 60’s pop tones.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
              How often do you use the lipstick Strat? Ive always thought that would be fun for real jangly 60's pop tones.
              Not real often. But that's more because I have so many guitars. But when I want that tone, there's no substitute.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                It's too bad that Duncan quit selling their SFX-01 in-guitar stand alone circuit. The circuit foot-print was about the size of a postage stamp.
                I wonder if being able to DIY one is part of the reason

Comment

A nice small SMT chip would be nice.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                    I wonder if being able to DIY one is part of the reason.
                    Thanks. That's a great resource to archive.

But the small footprint of the SD version is nice. Also, there's an old FET buffer circuit that's been around for a long time. Several people sell them on eBay. I snagged this one not too long ago. I think it was less than $10. You can see it next to a 9-volt connector to see how tiny it is. If I ever get a spare minute, I'll test her out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210203_115015.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	6053712

Comment

Working...
                    X