Good Adhesive For Nut??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Adhesive For Nut??

G'day everyone & hope all are well~ This is this my first time installing a new nut w/o having a notch to tightly fit it into, & not need glue, but here she is, my '71 Harmony Marquis that had some super lightweight alloy nut where each string notch could seat a G string from a bass!! So, what to use to keep my new Tusq nut in place, & how to ensure a solid connection & keep my great sustain,,,(great for a student size guitar)??

BTW, the previous old nut, was 5mm from the bottom of the nut to the bottom of the notche Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210205-191211_Gallery.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	6054443 s, so I ordered a nut that runs 4.5mm for the same distance, certainly giving the strings solid contact w/that 'zero fret',,, good?
    Thanks in advance for all your help & stay safe~

Small drop or two of Titebond. In a pinch, Elmer's white glue will work.
    Make sure all the old glue is removed from both surfaces of the shelf.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

+1 on Titebond. It's what the pros use.

Comment

I use a couple of drops of CA. You can use Titebond, but will need a little more glue. But it sticks ok to non wood objects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah, damn - ya went there. David is good, but please don't follow his advice.

Comment

Titebond is the industry standard, but I've used a tiny bit of superglue before, depending on the scenario. Just have to be more careful if/when you ever remove it, but works fine. But, yeah, 2-3 drops of Titebond or even Elmer's, like Goober said, is the safest bet and what I'd use on that guitar.

Comment

If you use CA glue
              dont use much
              if you have to change it, it will wreck the shelf
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Zero fret may make the nut less critical in terms of tone and wear.
                Still probably wouldn't choose superglue myself.
                Especially on a fifty-year-old guitar.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks guys for the advice & humour!!

Comment

I've only ever used titebond, a couple small drops. Just enough to hold it in place.

Comment

What ever glues....but not too much.
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

What ever glues....but not too much.
                        No, damn it! There are appropriate glues for the job, and then there is crap. Don't epoxy it, and for God's sake don't use a Hot Glue Gun or Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue expands as it cures, and that's no good any way you slice it.

The whole point in building and repairing stringed musical instruments is that you can repair it later if you used the correct glue - which is why traditional hide glues, and yellow aliphatic resin glues like Titebond are used. They are repairable. White casein glues (like Elmer's) haven't the strength for most joints, but can be used to affix a nut because it's not a stressed area.

Comment

I've only used hide glue, but that stuff smells so bad.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

No, damn it! There are appropriate glues for the job, and then there is crap. Don't epoxy it, and for God's sake don't use a Hot Glue Gun or Gorilla Glue. Gorilla Glue expands as it cures, and that's no good any way you slice it.

The whole point in building and repairing stringed musical instruments is that you can repair it later if you used the correct glue - which is why traditional hide glues, and yellow aliphatic resin glues like Titebond are used. They are repairable. White casein glues (like Elmer's) haven't the strength for most joints, but can be used to affix a nut because it's not a stressed area.
                            And dont use gorilla glue for hairspray

That girl is having fits teying to get it out
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                            X