Questions about wiring grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about wiring grounds

I’m putting together a wiring harness in a new guitar. I’m setting it up for 2 humbuckers, a three way blade switch and one volume.
    My question is, is it possible to connect all my grounds to a single point, and then wire that directly to the back of the pot? I don’t want to overload the pot with so many different ground connections that I possibly burn it out. I was planning on connecting most of my grounds (pickups,bridge,output, etc) to a lug, or washer screwed into the wall of the control cavity, then connecting a single wire to that and connecting that wire straight to the back of the pot.
    Is this possible? Also, if this is posted in the wrong board, please let me know.

That's probably the more common method. As long as all ground connections eventually have continuity to the output jack, you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      That's probably the more common method. As long as all ground connections eventually have continuity to the output jack, you should be good.
      So essentially if they’re all connected to a singular ground point like that, it would maintain continuity and complete the circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
        Can you overload something with a ground?

Comment

That's fine method -you won't overload... if you want to go a step further -bring all grounds beck to the jack instead a two step through the pot.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

As long as they are connected, you are good. It doesn't really matter the path there.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              As long as they are connected, you are good. It doesn't really matter the path there.
              Yes, this. Electricity doesn't care where you solder . . . it just needs a clear path to where it's going.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Can you overload something with a ground?
                You can overload something with too much heat... I think I've done this before.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I had another idea. This was inspired by the tremol-no. For the bridge ground on that, it’s not soldered in, rather it’s screwed in directly to the claw. Would I be able to take my washer, or nut, take a wood screw, have the grounds contact the screw in some way, screw those in and not have to solder anything on there?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdman642 View Post
                    I had another idea. This was inspired by the tremol-no. For the bridge ground on that, it’s not soldered in, rather it’s screwed in directly to the claw. Would I be able to take my washer, or nut, take a wood screw, have the grounds contact the screw in some way, screw those in and not have to solder anything on there?
                    I'd solder them together. You don't want the slightest chance of an intermittent ground introducing noise into your guitar.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                    X