No announcement yet.

Time to talk about graphic finishes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to talk about graphic finishes...

Click image for larger version  Name:	1E9F52C1-FACB-4E93-9AEC-267FE354C19E.jpeg Views:	21 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	6054841 Click image for larger version  Name:	3158374E-C86C-4F11-8D16-4A400ED6E68F.jpeg Views:	21 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	6054842 Click image for larger version  Name:	B229ACFB-0E61-4EC8-812C-0EAFAF568F05.jpeg Views:	21 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	6054843

Click image for larger version  Name:	EF74F1F8-3124-4D38-8B1F-1AAFC01E20F8.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	106.3 KB ID:	6054840
    his is a trend that has mostly faded away, so what’s a better time than now to discuss?

Graphic, and especially airbrushed finishes.

A quick search on the Jackson Facebook group returned most of these, but the Clapton’s, Hammetts, and EVHs are all over as well. Today, companies bring their highest grade flame tops, exotic fade dyes and ridiculous relics to the NAMM shows, but 30 years ago they got their top airbrush artists to bring over the top graphic works on their guitars. Here’s a collection to get us started.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-07-2021, 01:47 PM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Click image for larger version

Name:	12F2B4E6-ACB8-49E3-AD46-27FD57BC2A11.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	6054847 Click image for larger version

Name:	CE6CC399-2D2D-4E83-AA91-DE2ED2DA0026.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	6054849 Click image for larger version

Name:	41BAAD79-028B-4CE1-82BC-A063ECD2E931.jpeg
Views:	182
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	6054846 Click image for larger version

Name:	DBEF8979-A4A7-423D-A2C2-3A9C498A83AA.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	6054848
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

For the record, despite by enthusiasm for 1980’s Charvel style guitars, I prefer them with just a single color. I pass on graphics.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Where's Raph (Kinnikuman) when you need him?

Comment

I have to say, they were never my thing at all. I do think they look good when others use them, but never anything I was ever interested in owning.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Never my thing as a whole although I did own some way back when.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

All the parts of a stage presentation - from set dressing to clothes/costumes and even instrument choices and their finishes - tell your audience SOMETHING. Even if the thing they're often communicating is "we didn't give this any consideration, because who cares?"

As such, I'm totally okay with the abstract idea of guitar graphics, but the specific, actual graphics that tend to get put on guitars tend to communicate things that I have very little interest in associating myself with.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I did a couple back in the 80's for my clients who asked for them.... But nothing I did came close to the some of the Jackson stuff I saw. The one I really wanted was a metallic blue and pearl white tiger striped job....
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                  All the parts of a stage presentation - from set dressing to clothes/costumes and even instrument choices and their finishes - tell your audience SOMETHING. Even if the thing they're often communicating is "we didn't give this any consideration, because who cares?"

As such, I'm totally okay with the abstract idea of guitar graphics, but the specific, actual graphics that tend to get put on guitars tend to communicate things that I have very little interest in associating myself with.
                  Fantastic point. The era that these came from was one of “as bombastic as possible”, and it really makes sense.
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Name:	B2A5BB94-D2AF-44C1-A4DC-6C48B3FABDEE.png
Views:	177
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	6054934

I was tempted by one of these once, admittedly it was very cheap, and I would probably have refinished it.

Comment

I have an EVH striped RWB, which actually wasn’t my first choice finish, but I like them all.
                      I like a few of the Dimebag signature guitar finishes.
                      I came quite close to getting one of these:

Name:	BF0F7A65-8B76-4401-A6A6-48AEE36C6552.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	6054954

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                        I have an EVH striped RWB, which actually wasn’t my first choice finish, but I like them all.
                        I like a few of the Dimebag signature guitar finishes.
                        I came quite close to getting one of these:

Name:	BF0F7A65-8B76-4401-A6A6-48AEE36C6552.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	6054954
                        Definitely need to post the Dime, DiMartini and Lynch guitars.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I have a vague recollection of a red plaid SG that I thought was kinda cool looking. But I can't find any image of it on either Google or Bing. So I'm questioning my memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                            Where are they hiding it?
                            Apparently, in the deep dark catacombs of my memory. Good hiding place.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              I have a vague recollection of a red plaid SG that I thought was kinda cool looking. But I can't find any image of it on either Google or Bing. So I'm questioning my memory.
                              Remember the Blues Saraceno ones? These are graphics I’d actually like...

Name:	CF14ED18-C443-472F-A5FA-3EB8A22DBD07.jpeg
Views:	124
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	6054977
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X