Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power amps!

Hey Guys!

I'm thinking about buying a power amp to complement my vamp-pro. I'd like a tube power amp and 20 watts would be more than enough for my needs. I may in time invest in some real tube preamp, but not for now.

I have found out about the marshall El34 20/20 and the Mesa 20/20. Can you give information about those two poweramps (sound, price) or anything you would know about them. Also are there other models of power amps in the 20-30 watt range that would be good to look at?

Thanks!

Nik
    Gibson Melody Maker ~ Stock
    PRS Santana SE ~ Stock
    Warmoth SG ~ EMG85b - EMG89n
    Epiphone LP Custom ~ Customb - Jazzn
    Jackson KV3 ~ EMG81b - EMG85n
    MIJ Fender Strat ~ Dimeb - Coolrailsn

Samick Bass
    Ibanez Bass

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
    VampPRO
    Bass VampPRO
    Peavey TKO 115 Bass amp

Re: Power amps!

I had a Mesa 50/50 power amp. It was really nice, plus it's switchable between 50w and 15w power modes. It had good clarity on it's tone, and overdrived nicely.

The Mesa Stereo 2:50 is not switchable, only the older 50/50

Anyone I've ever talked to who owned a Mesa 20/20 has been happy with it. They seem to be the cream of the low powered rack amp crop.

As for differences, the EL 20/20 will have that Marshallish sound to them, while the Mesa (with 6L6's) will have a better clean tone and generally be more Mesa/Fenderish.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Randall RT2/50. It is a 50 watt amp though. You can do your own bias, and can tell exactly witch tube is bad. Very very nice feature!!! It is two channels and has 6L6 and EL34s or you can run both of them at the same time. I am getting mine modded by Egnater with a power level switch for 50, 25, and 10 watts. My advise to you is to do the same, you won't be disappointed.

Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
      VHT 2502
      (2) Randal XLT 4X12
      (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
      Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
      Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
      http://www.robertkeeley.com
      Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
      Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Screamingdaisy, would you know the canadian prices of both of the mesa power amps?

I'll check out the randall one too!

thanks!

Nik
        PRS Santana SE ~ Stock

Samick Bass
        Ibanez Bass

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
        VampPRO
        Bass VampPRO
        Peavey TKO 115 Bass amp

Comment

I sold my 50/50 for $500, and they generally go on ebay for slightly higher.

For some reason I have $1200 for a new 20/20 stuck in my head, but that might be the US price. I'd just call and ask a dealer if I were you.

Comment

Thanks!!
            PRS Santana SE ~ Stock

Samick Bass
            Ibanez Bass

Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
            VampPRO
            Bass VampPRO
            Peavey TKO 115 Bass amp

Comment

I like my VHT 2502. It has two channels (about 50 w/ per side depending on the power tubes you use). It will accept EL34 or 6L6 tubes. It has a power reduction switch to bring it down to about 15 watts. It can also run in Class A/B (push-pull operation) or Class A (both tubes on all the time). Pretty flexible amp and built like a tank. Damn, if it only has the bias probes on the back panel like Burkweisers RT2!!!
              (2) Randall RM4 preamps, VHT 2502 Power amp, 2 2x12 Bogner cabs w/V30's and Lead 80's, '74 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop, '89 Gibson Les Paul Cherryburst, '93 Stratocaster, and a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

sorry to cut in here, but is it possible to run guitar--->power amp--->cab? would this function as a clean tube amp, and you'd have to put a pedal in front to get any gain? (so i guess i'm asking if a power amp can act as a tube amp in a way)
                Line 6 Flextone II 1x12
                Schecter C-1 Classic, JB bridge, '59 neck
                Anyone want to donate a tube amp?

Comment

If price is no object, I'd stay with VHT or Mesa.

If you want the best for cheapest, go with a Peavey 50/50 or 60/60.
                  The 60/60 sounds great, and only go for around $250.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Infinite Dreams
                    sorry to cut in here, but is it possible to run guitar--->power amp--->cab? would this function as a clean tube amp, and you'd have to put a pedal in front to get any gain? (so i guess i'm asking if a power amp can act as a tube amp in a way)
                    No, you generally need a preamp. Most distortion pedals are not meant to act as a full fleged preamp. (ie, they might work when turned on, but as soon as you bypass it, there goes your sound)

Comment

Working...
                    X