Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has a nylon string?

What tension do you use and why?

I use either normal or light tension. My nylon is a Yamaha electric/acoustic with a thinner fingerboard and cutaway, so it is far from traditional. The plugged in sound is most important to me.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i have a taylor ns72ce which isnt a traditional nylon but i use hard tension just cause back when i was working at music stores i messed around with a bunch of sets and found that i liked the tone and feel of them

Comment

I have hard tension on my fretless nylon acoustic. I like the overall tension and tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have classical guitars. Hard tension is what works for me. I use D’addarios EJ46 Pro Arté

Comment

I have a Yamaha CGX171? Pro Arte EJ45's
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The nylon stringed guitars I've played have all felt pretty floppy. Much floppier than any other guitar including short scale axes. I think I'd enjoy a higher tension string on a classical guitar.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                The nylon stringed guitars I've played have all felt pretty floppy. Much floppier than any other guitar including short scale axes. I think I'd enjoy a higher tension string on a classical guitar.
                I've got the Pro Arte EJ43's and they're a little floppy for me. I think I'm going to try the 45's next time.

Comment

I've always used high tension. Said to be brighter, louder, and to have a well-defined feel.
                  This according to my classical guitar instructor, many decades ago.
                  I just stuck with what I was used to and haven't ever actually compared tensions myself.

Now that I have a second nylon-string, have been thinking about trying medium in hopes of a warmer, more intimate tone.
                  Not sure whether I'll be happy with a softer feel, though.
                  Guess I'll try it and see.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

a friend of mine who is a quite accomplished classical player uses extra hard tension only and swears its the only way to go

Comment

What a legit classical player uses and what I want out of a classical guitar are really 2 different worlds. I know some great players that use really expensive, custom privately-made strings that cost an absurd amount of money. My strings just need to provide a great (non-traditional) plugged-in sound, and be super easy to play.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        What a legit classical player uses and what I want out of a classical guitar are really 2 different worlds. I know some great players that use really expensive, custom privately-made strings that cost an absurd amount of money. My strings just need to provide a great (non-traditional) plugged-in sound, and be super easy to play.
                        Yeah. Some of the teachers I used to work with used those expensive strings. I tried them and went back to D’Addario.

Comment

I've got a Yamaha that would probably be similar to what Mincer has. Plays nice but I've no idea about the string tension. I've only changed the strings once.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            a friend of mine who is a quite accomplished classical player uses extra hard tension only and swears its the only way to go
                            Most of the really good players Ive seen on you tube use high tension strings also.

Comment

High tension projects better, so it's perfectly understandable that classical players who perform live tend to prefer it.
                              In terms of historical accuracy though, low tension is probably more like the gut strings used before plastic came along.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X