Fake guitars seized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake guitars seized

More than three dozens counterfeit high-end guitars were seized at Dulles International Airport — all on the same day.

Be careful of the used market.

Of course - China was the source.
    I once turned in an auction house that was selling some very nice Chibsons as Gibsons. The county sheriff told me they were also selling counterfeit Rolexes and fake DeBeers diamonds.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Of course - China was the source.
      I once turned in an auction house that was selling some very nice Chibsons as Gibsons. The county sheriff told me they were also selling counterfeit Rolexes and fake DeBeers diamonds.

Well, of course.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a lot of Gib/Martin/Fender to be arriving at Dulles on any given day me thinks....

That said not would have been MORE interesting to see where they were going first.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

One of those customs officers must be a guitarist!

We have a family friend that flies internationally to China and Hong Kong. Without fail she returns every time with some knockoff goodies for her friends. Must be easy to get hold of them since she has only a few hours before flying back. I'll ask her to bring me a Les Paul next time.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            That's a lot of Gib/Martin/Fender to be arriving at Dulles on any given day me thinks....

That said not would have been MORE interesting to see where they were going first.
            According to CBP, the guitars were addressed to 21 different U.S. states, and one was destined for Australia.

Comment

I think that the signature on the les paul signed by 'slash' might have been a giveaway:

Is it bad that I kinda want to play the purple and blue 335 at the front? :P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Dang... There goes my YJM

Comment

Next stop for these guitars is a bandsaw in US Customs.

Comment

21 different places makes me think it is 21 random buyers...

Comment

Dang

The only reason anyone gets the company name on the headstock is to deceive people
                      whether its fool folks at a show
                      Or a buyer at a sale

Those are pretty instruments
                      And probably play fine

i doubt they get destroyed
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The one I bought played terrific and sounded like a dream. But when I opened it up it was fake as hell. Which is why I turned them in. Got my money back, too.

Comment

I would like to point out that fakes coming from Asia are a product of labor costs -fakes were coming from primarily inside North America for many many decades until the costs got too high to where only high end fakes make economic sense now -except from Mexico.

It's not a moral indictment of Asian countries as some would imply -it's the economic opportunity of criminal enterprise regardless of location.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It's not a moral indictment of Asian countries as some would imply -it's the economic opportunity of criminal enterprise regardless of location.
                            Yeah, it is. Not the person on the line (who is working for pennies a day), but the American importers and the owners of the factories KNOW it's illegal. And they should suffer the consequences (which they seldom have to do).

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Yeah, it is. Not the person on the line (who is working for pennies a day), but the American importers and the owners of the factories KNOW it's illegal. And they should suffer the consequences (which they seldom have to do).
                              And those pennies = $10 an hour here. Show an appropriate economic comparison or don't say that. we work for crap compared to people in Dubai.

And illegal is also relative.

Comment

Working...
                              X