banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is finish cracks at the neck joint of bolt ons normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is finish cracks at the neck joint of bolt ons normal?

I just picked up a new music man sting ray RS Monday. Everything seems to be fine with it but I noticed there is a crack in the finish I assume at the neck joint. I asked on some music man groups on Facebook. Some said it was normal some said it was not. Especially on $2000+ guitars. A few people told me it was common on all bolt on necks. I have owned a lot of teles a few strats and various other bolt on neck guitars over the years and never had it happen to them.
    So I was wondering if it seemed normal on a guitar this new?

Common? Yes

On brand new guitars? No

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
      Common? Yes

On brand new guitars? No
      This is my experience, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks guys it seemed odd to me with it being new. I have owned some expensive guitars but usually bought used or traded into. I have never spent this much money on one. So I was disappointed to see that crack. I have heard a lot of good about music man having stable tuning with the roasted maple neck. But I have had to tune 4 times in less than an hour playtime. Because of all the strings going sharp.

Comment

If all the strings are going sharp
          then the neck is straightening out Is it flat now?

Where did it ship from?

EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yes, new guitars. Go to any Guitar Center to browse and you'll find cracks around the neck joints. The plastic finishes do not move when the wood moves during cycles of heating and cooling, humidity, and barometic pressure. Let's not forget that wood used to be a living thing, and it still responds to these things.

Also - it's NOTHING to worry about (even though many unenlightened do).
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yes, normal enough in my experience. The degree to which it's a problem is probably case-by-case.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
              X