LTD EC-1000 necks; opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
    This issue is BS. As long as the board is flat, the width or shape doesn't really matter. Speed comes down to picking hand and string action.
    I don't see where the OP wrote anywhere earlier that "speed" was their concern.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Speed is the most important concern when talking about guitar neck. Plus he is talking about EC 1000 not vintage Tele.

Gesendet von meinem ASUS_X00RD mit Tapatalk

Comment

U necks are great. To me they're distinct from D necks. It's basically the curvature of the neck, right? So, in order of sharpness to fullness:

V (not my jam at all, since I'm mostly a thumb-on-neck player)
        C (if the c is lying down on the round side) (got no issue with Cs; my Schecter is a thin C and plays well)
        D (if the d is lying down on the round side) (Ds are fine; my Epiphone is a slim-taper D)
        U (my EC-1000 is a thin-U, obvs, not the baseball bat U of Gibson lore)

A U neck has a bit more lower "girth" than the D. That is, you feel it slightly at the base of your thumb and index finger, right where the bottom of the U curves left and right. Big difference from other neck profiles? Nah. You can get comfortable with any neck over time. But U necks have always felt right in my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
          Speed is the most important concern when talking about guitar neck.
          I don't doubt that there are a number of guitarists that feel that speed is high on the list of concerns. However, very doubtful that a majority put it at the top of the list.

But I understand that it's your personal #1. That's fine.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post

In my understanding the Thin U neck is called D neck?
            Nope. At least not compared to Ibanez. Not as flat. Much rounder.

Comment

My Gibson is called a slim D 60s and it is noticeably different from the slim C 60s of my Epiphone
              the Epiphone being closer to the Ibanez feeling to me. Without the flat back
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

Definitely not a concern. I just like a bit of substance in guitar necks.

Comment

I may be the odd man out, as a tech, more than a musician, I tend to like variety. I'm not focused on any one neck profile. I like thick baseball bats one day, then thin Wizards the next. I suppose that it's also possible that as age and arthritis creeps in, the changing shapes help my hands not seek one position.

Comment

I like the necks on both my Les Pauls, but if the neck on the double cutaway was a little chunkier, I definitely would not be upset.

Comment

Working...
                    X