LTD EC-1000 necks; opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LTD EC-1000 necks; opinions?

I’ve seen a good deal on an LTD EC-1000, which made me wonder what the necks are like.
    I can’t get to try it myself due to plague, and I really shouldn’t buy it, but I turn 40 in a few days, so maybe I will succumb to temptation.

Thanks.

I had an EC-1000 in amber sunburst about 10 years ago, Played great, the neck was thinner and wider than a Gibson slim taper, but not as much as Ibanez or Jackson necks.

Even liked the JB it came stock with, since I had tried it in mahogany before and was not amazed by it.

I now own an MH-1000HS and the neck seems thinner than the EC, from what I can recalll....
    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

The ones I have been lusting over are
      42 mm at the nut
      20 mm thick at first fret 22 mm at 12th fret

my RG wizard II is
      42 at the nut
      19 at first fret
      20 at 12th

My epiphone lp slim 60s
      42 nut
      20 at first
      22 at 12th
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        The ones I have been lusting over are
        42 mm at the nut
        20 mm thick at first fret 22 mm at 12th fret

my RG wizard II is
        42 at the nut
        19 at first fret
        20 at 12th

My epiphone lp slim 60s
        42 nut
        20 at first
        22 at 12th

That’s great, thanks.

Comment

I have had a few LTD's with the Thin U neck profile (all from the same factory in Korea, even), and the neck has varied slightly from guitar to guitar.

But overall, I'd say the Thin U neck profile is pretty comparable to the Gibson 60's. Perhaps a bit faster/more comfy IMO. Very slightly thinner and narrower. Definitely not wider as they have a 42 mm nut width as opposed to the typical Gibson 43. They also have a flatter fretboard radius (13.75" as opposed to the typical Gibson 12") and bigger frets. So sorta like a more shreddy-feeling Gibson 60's, but way more similar to a Gibson 60's than to, say, an Ibanez Wizard.

Comment

I have a couple of Les Pauls, one has a thick neck, and one noticeably thinner, but if it’s close to either of those it would be good. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I have had a few LTD's with the Thin U neck profile (all from the same factory in Korea, even), and the neck has varied slightly from guitar to guitar.

But overall, I'd say the Thin U neck profile is pretty comparable to the Gibson 60's. Perhaps a bit faster/more comfy IMO. Very slightly thinner and narrower. Definitely not wider as they have a 42 mm nut width as opposed to the typical Gibson 43. They also have a flatter fretboard radius (13.75" as opposed to the typical Gibson 12") and bigger frets. So sorta like a more shreddy-feeling Gibson 60's, but way more similar to a Gibson 60's than to, say, an Ibanez Wizard.
              In my understanding the Thin U neck is called D neck?
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I really don't pay that much attention, but I like them.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

They're good. To me.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I don't know if its just one of the following, or a combination of a few of them, that left me feeling that my LTD EC-331FR's neck was uncomfortable and I sold it cuz of that.

42mm wide at nut
                    Thin U neck shape
                    14" radius
                    extra jumbo frets

Versus what feels ideal to me, which are
                    43mm wide at nut
                    C or D shape
                    10-12" radius
                    medium or small frets

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

42mm wide at nut
                      Thin U neck shape
                      14" radius
                      extra jumbo frets

Sounds like the an Ibanez
                      the Wizard II

The one you like sounds like the Wizard III they currently use
                      EHD

Comment

My time spent with the EC-1000 was demoing it alongside the EC-256 and a handful of Ibanez RGs. Can't say for sure which necks the RGs had, but I know a lot of them have various Wizard necks and boy, they were much thinner and wider than the ECs neck. But then again I feel pretty strongly that specs only tell part of the story and there's a je-ne-sais-quoi element to this stuff that can't be quantified with numbers even if two necks have the exact same dimensions.

One thing to definitely note is that the EC-1000 does have extra jumbo frets. And they really are about the tallest frets that you'll find on a regular 'ol guitar. Very tall. I would definitely want to buy with my hands & ears rather than my eyes and my love of a good deal.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The following is a list of neck types that Ibanez uses or has used for its electric guitar models, including the neck dimensions. The years indicate the period the neck of that description was used. Note that a neck type can change over the years. Dimensions are from tables provided by Ibanez in their catalogs as well as on their website. For a similar list of neck dimensions for acoustic guitars see the list of acoustic neck profiles. For a similar list of dimensions for bass necks see the List
                          EHD

Comment

The LTD necks I’ve felt have tended to be more round than Ibanez. The shape (rather than overall dimensions) makes a much bigger difference to me, particularly how much shoulder there is.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

This issue is BS. As long as the board is flat, the width or shape doesn't really matter. Speed comes down to picking hand and string action.

Comment

Working...
                              X