Best way to fill pickguard holes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to fill pickguard holes?

I bought a pickguard for my Epi SG to go from humbuckers to p-90s, and of course the holes ALMOST line up. I'm taking this as an opportunity to learn how to work on guitars, and was wondering if anyone has a preferred method. There are two methods of filling that I have heard of so far, the first being to get a stick of the same size and wood glue and hammer it down till it's flush. There is a forum post out there, idk which site but he uses bamboo sticks to fill in the holes of a fender 6 point trem to replace it with a 2 point trem. However the bamboo sticks I have are too large for small pickguard screws, and I doubt they make any small enough for pickguard screws. Second, I've seen you could make a paste using sawdust and wood glue, and filling the cavity with that.

Does anyone have a preferred way of filling wood holes?

Dont

The attempt to patch will be more obvious than the holes

On my seafoam Squire
    the new brige holes didnt line up
    1/8 dowel and drilled them out
    Glued in the dowel and the new bridge covered the handiwork

Honestly if i didn't need the holes filled for the new screws
    I would have left them

Like if the new bridge was a 2 point
    Them middle ones be danged

I hear folk talk about filling pickguard holes under Stratocaster pickguards
    if the new one covers it
    Who will know?
    Last edited by ehdwuld; 02-11-2021, 11:05 PM.
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Toothpicks and some wood glue. Lightly coat the toothpicks, put them in the holes, let it dry, snip the excess so it's flush, redrill new pickguard holes. I've done it that way for years.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        Toothpicks and some wood glue. Lightly coat the toothpicks, put them in the holes, let it dry, snip the excess so it's flush, redrill new pickguard holes. I've done it that way for years.
        This is what I've always done. I use regular white glue.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah are you filling them because the new hole will overlap with the old one, and you want a more secure fit? If so, the toothpick method works for me as well on guitars, drywall, cabinets, many things. Otherwise I'd say just leave 'em be. Or, there's also the option of drilling in your pickguard to match the holes in your guitar, if you don't want to add any holes to the body.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

It reads to me like he wants to do it because the new screws are going to be going in very near where the old holes are, not for cosmetic reasons.

I've done the toothpick thing. It works.

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            Dont

The attempt to patch will be more obvious than the holes
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Toothpicks and wood glue.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The usual method is toothpicks because they are the correct size for most screw holes for pickguards and also tuning machines. White glue or yellow glue is fine. I remember one client complained, "I hope you are using something more substantial than a toothpick!" I asked what he might suggest, and he replied a dowel. "What size?" I asked? He looked blank. Then I laid some facts on him.....Most wooden dowels and toothpicks are made of the same wood, birch. And the smallest wooden dowels you can find is 1/8 inch, about the same size as (surprise!) a toothpick. That shut him up.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I wanted to post fill them with "Toothpaste". just to watch ICT lose his ****ing mind

Like ICT, I've always used toothpicks or a few times old maple remnants left from shimming something -even to tighten up the tension on a button strap hole -no issues.
                  Last edited by NegativeEase; 02-18-2021, 01:19 PM.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I wanted to post fill them with "Toothpaste". just to watch ICT lose his ****ing mind
                    Actually, that is what works well on nail holes in sheetrock. Just wipe it off flush, and it will take paint later. Dries hard as a rock.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

Actually, that is what works well on nail holes in sheetrock. Just wipe it off flush, and it will take paint later. Dries hard as a rock.
                      That's exactly why I thought it would be funny on a guitar ***high five****
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Haha. We used to fill the tack / nail holes of the walls in our college apartments with toothpaste so we wouldn't get dinged on our deposit for them.

Comment

I learned that trick from a carpenter who was a client.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            I learned that trick from a carpenter who was a client.
                            When I was a kid, me and my buddy busted a 10" wide hole in his bedroom wall playing nerf hoops.

So not knowing about hollow walls, or backing -I went home -got a bucket of plaster and we just kept filling the hole for days until built up to the hole.... to keep parents from finding out.

Someone lives in a home right now with a slice of interior wall with 30-36 inches of plaster tall by16 inches wide and maybe weighing 50 pounds built up inside their bedroom wall

Comment

That's greatness!!! LOL

I got the toothpaste idea for the walls from one of my older sisters who had already been through college.

Comment

Working...
                              X