banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-elixir acoustic guitar coated strings . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out the D’Addario Nickel Bronze, too. They’re not coated, sound broken in when they’re new, and last a really, really long time.

Adam Steffey, a virtually legendary mandolin player, turned me onto them. Said he can kill any set of strings in a 2 hour summer set, but the NBs can go at least a few shows.
    "Patience is key. Hard work is obligatory. And it’s the decisions you make right now, not the habits of the past, that will shape your success in the future." - Janek Gwizdala

Comment

I hate ANY coated strings. They sound half dead already.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Though I don't play acoustic hence I don't how their acoustic strings fare, but I use Cleartone on all my guitars. Absolutely zero flaking and takes my sweat well.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          Need to try a set of Optimas.

24K Gold plated strings.

I had a set that lasted me a year+ with regular play.

Yes they're expensive but you'll actually save $$$ over the long haul.
          I had two sets of them. They tend to be a bit stiffer, but their lifespan are about 3 times of regular string... and the gold is not flaking off.
          I heard Brian May and Frank Zappa used them. It's great for people who are allergic to nickel.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I don't like getting used to playing very expensive strings. I want to be able to find them anywhere. Same with picks.
            Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              I hate ANY coated strings. They sound half dead already.
              I'd be interested to post .WAVs of dozen new acoustic strings and see if anyone could pick out the coated ones. -there are a couple of coated brands I think would be easy, but at least 2 that I think would be hard for most people to discern.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I'd be interested to post .WAVs of dozen new acoustic strings and see if anyone could pick out the coated ones. -there are a couple of coated brands I think would be easy, but at least 2 that I think would be hard for most people to discern.
                Coated is a lot about the feel, yeah? I've never been blown away by strings' sound simply because they're coated. When I buy them it's for the smooth feel and the longer life, and the mental reassurance that they'll last longer. Usually just on acoustic. Just a bonus that Elixirs sound great to my ears.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                X