Has your setup changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has your setup changed?

I used to go with moderately heavy strings, high-ish action, and a lot of relief. I’d also set the radius with a gauge.

Currently, I still prefer the 10 or 11-52, but the necks are as straight as possible, slightly lower action, and I set the radius by feel.

Still hate light strings and ultra low action
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Nah..been lighter strings and lower action for me for quite awhile. Very little relief in the neck, but not perfectly straight.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

pretty much 11s, slightly higher action, straight neck which it has been for a long time

Comment

With AS and the issues with my hands it's now 9's and action on the lower side but not as low as I can get it. Also am using a radius gauge now to precisely match the board radius to the set up on the bridge. Physical issues are forcing changes if I want to keep playing sadly.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Tried EB Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms 10-52 on the PG Mikro, to make sure I'd get good tension for a short scale. Since I had to flip the guitar, the headstock is no longer reversed and I guess that solved the tension issue for me, because those bottom strings were tough. I could've got a thicker pick, I guess, but I don't really like them.

Flipping the guitar also meant that it was like it was getting new strings for the very first time. So, since I hadn't technically intonated or adjusted the action, I figured I'd get a setup down by the local, and have somebody else fix my stupid mistakes.

I had them restring with EB 10-46, and it's great. There's way more "bounce" to these, I don't feel like I have to clamp my fingers down to play chords, and the slight buzz I had on the 5,6, and 7th frets is gone completely. Should've stuck with those strings from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            Physical issues are forcing changes if I want to keep playing sadly.
            Sorry to hear that man. Making my guitars easier to play (straighter neck, lower action) was largely inspired by trying to avoid any injuries. Might go down to straight 10s for awhile and see if I can get used to it, but I love the beefy wound strings.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
              With AS and the issues with my hands it's now 9's and action on the lower side but not as low as I can get it. Also am using a radius gauge now to precisely match the board radius to the set up on the bridge. Physical issues are forcing changes if I want to keep playing sadly.
              I'm sorry to hear that. I think that time and age will compel most players to use lighter strings in the long run. I used to be into heavy-gauge strings. Now I use 10/46 in standard tuning, and I like the slinkiness. My hands aren't quite as strong as they used to be. Plus I have what I suspect is some nerve damage that occasionally results in pain in my fretting hand in certain positions. So I have to be careful.

Comment

9s slammed to a true straight neck since I was 17

Comment

A few years ago went from 9-46 to straight 10s and ditched the multi effect processor stuff for pedals. But thats about it. Always preferred low action and straight necks.

Comment

I use different gauges on different guitars. So I would say I've "expanded" my setups over the years, but I still have some guitars with 9 slinky's.

Really liking the skinny top beefy bottoms these days on the low tuned stuff.
                    Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 02-20-2021, 11:36 AM.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Yeah, I'm still 11-52 in D Standard. and 10-48 in E

I don't have a light enough touch to do the 8s or 9s -I need the resistance -plus I like the tuning stability.

Straight ass neck preferred here as well.

Although neck profile is serious thing for my tastes -I've found out surprisingly that width isn't really a factor if the profile is good -so less picky on that than when I was younger.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Although neck profile is serious thing for my tastes -I've found out surprisingly that width isn't really a factor if the profile is good -so less picky on that than when I was younger.
                        It’s all about how much shoulder there is. My ‘74 Strat has a really chunky neck, but it’s not uncomfortable because it’s really round and deep. My CE24 has a much thinner neck, but there’s not a lot of shoulder, so it feels good, too.

The only exception in my bunch is my 8 string, which is really wide, really flat, and almost uniform thickness across. I wear it a little higher and hold my hand in a more traditional thumb on the back posture to play it, though, so it feels good.

Comment

Standard .009 sets on 25.5 scale necks, standard 10 sets on 24.75 necks. Low action, bit of relief.

Playing like this for 30 years.
                          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

My playing style is a weird amalgamation of James Hetfield, Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Ness and SRV. The setup I’ve narrowed down to is 10-52, a little relief. Medium to medium-low action, 5 springs and a float that allows an up/down vibrato but stays really stiff so palm muting doesn’t move it.

I experimented a lot with gauges, relief, action, trem setup over the years and this works for me.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I used 10-46 D'Addarios for four decades. Consistent tone and reliable quality.

I pick with a wide range of dynamics from light to fairly hard, so I can't use a very low action.
                              Used to be considered medium, but by 21st Century standards it's a good bit higher than average.

As my hands age and finger strength decreases I'm in the process of switching string gauges.
                              Tried .095s on one guitar and was surprised - difference in tone/output was minimal, less than expected.

So I'm going to 9.5s on all my 24¾" scale guitars and 9s for 25½" scale.
                              This might also require a switch from heavy picks to medium.
                              (Still not sure on that one - it would limit my dynamics but may turn out to be necessary for the lighter strings.)
                              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 02-20-2021, 01:50 PM.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X