No announcement yet.

Has your setup changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been light strings with low action for me, all of my life. I just recently switched to a heavier guage on one electric and most of my acoustics.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
      It's been light strings with low action for me, all of my life. I just recently switched to a heavier guage on one electric and most of my acoustics.
      If you setup your acoustic with medium strings (13-56), you can get away with much lower action than lights. If you lived nearby, I’d let you try my Gibson SJ, and feel that it’s not hard to play at all.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

13-56 is what I got for the acoustics but I'm waiting for a nut file before I change them just in case. Lol.

Comment

How do you set the radius :P

Jk. Yes, I've been with 10-49 for general playing for a couple years and gonna stick with that. Recently sat with 11s for a few months as a fat set and decided they weren't fat enough so went to 12s and 13s. I like a lot of bow, enough so the action feels high in all areas of the neck.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            I like a lot of bow, enough so the action feels high in all areas of the neck.
            One of the things I like better about less relief is that the action feels the same across the neck. When there’s more than necessary, it always feels different up and down.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That's true. I monkey with the bow and saddle height until the action feels similar across the neck. However it still gets progressively higher towards the heel, of course. I add as much bow as I can just short of making the middle of the neck bow deeper than the heel.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Yes I think my desired setup has changed a few times over the years. Going with regular 10’s now...
                ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Overall, my setups have been the same for a very long time. In some instances I like very minimal relief and on other cases (guitar build types) I like flat. Low action without detectable buzzing amplified or that alters string ring.There is that fine line in getting it right so that it is low and doesn't alter anything or hinder anything I may do playing wise or technique wise.

String wise, I have primarily been an 11-50 in standard tuning and at times done the 10-52 thing. I recently started messing a bit with different gauges and sets (brands) and have stumbled on a few things I really like. I learned (Thanks Rick Beato) that the thicker strings may be counter productive to what I am doing. After spending some time, I have to agree it was. So I am expecting 10-48's to replace the 11-50's and the 9-46's to replace others on cleaner, swankier type sounds (think tele). By going down a tad in size I found things to be a bit more articulate without losing anything "heavy sounding" which I thought I would lose. In actuality, it tightened things up and made them more focused. Things are more consistent now and I don't have to work as hard. It has been an interesting process.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

It's changed a few times, mostly string gauges, but as far as action that I like and such, been relatively the same for a long time. Each guitar is different though so one may play better with lower action vs. another that may play better with slightly higher action. But for the most part, all of mine are close to the same action height.

Comment

I've been keeping the same string guages and setups for a long while now . . . coming up on 16 years now. 11-49 on all 24 3/4 inch neck guitars, 10-52 on all 25 1/2 inch neck guitars. Action is always as low as I can get it and not have buzzing/rattling when hitting the strings hard, and a little relief in the neck.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                        Although neck profile is serious thing for my tastes -I've found out surprisingly that width isn't really a factor if the profile is good -so less picky on that than when I was younger.
                        My neck profiles are all over the place and it doesn't really matter to me. As long as the neck is straight with a low action I am ready to rock and roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

My neck profiles are all over the place and it doesn't really matter to me. As long as the neck is straight with a low action I am ready to rock and roll.
                          I'm pretty good with thin/thick necks and various profiles . . . but have serious preference for 1 11/16th nut widths.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

yeah, I can deal with any -but as for choice -there are only a couple of neck profiles that are totally egregious to my hand.
                            • 50's Vintage Fenders with like 7" radius and U neck -Hate those
                            • Vintage Mossrite Neck profile is legendarily strange and terrible.
                            (Basically any neck made for Cowboy chords only I can't stand)
                            • also Those weird sh*tty plasticy Dean neck profiles/fretboard combos from the 90s you saw in pawn shops a lot. I think it was when Dean first started making overseas -the worst.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My setup changes with the guitar and music I need to play.

Comment

I use 9-46 set on my Parker P-38 with the strings as low as I can get them and a perfectly straight neck. All my guitars are set up that way. Usually regular 9 sets on my other guitars (D’Addario XLs). I had 10s on a guitar I played slide on.

For a while I switched to 8s. But they were too bright sounding on the Parker.

I’ve been playing 52 years. I’m not trying to fight my guitars. Want to avoid RSI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X