X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RG550 reissue

Have we talked about this?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ert-sun-yellow

I used to have an RG550, but it was a newer one with the All Access Neck Joint (AANJ) that some slag on because, they say, it does not sound as good as the older neck joint with the plate. I never had a problem with the way mine sounded, but I did like the upper fret access. So I might have to stand down on this reissue and look for a 550 like I used to have.
    Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 02-21-2021, 03:28 PM.
    La plouc

i had an old one and absolutely loved it, top three guitars i never should have sold. are the old ones stupid expensive? i never minded the "chunky" neck block. its way better than a tele

Comment

Old ones are $800 - $1,500. There are only four on Reverb right now.

The new ones are $999.99 without a case.
      Last edited by Little Pigbacon; 02-21-2021, 04:26 PM.
      La plouc

Comment

Had one of the old ones back when they were new. LOVED IT.
        But these days, I'm thinking of getting an RG 565 reissue in orange.....
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Had one of the old ones back when they were new. LOVED IT.
          But these days, I'm thinking of getting an RG 565 reissue in orange.....
          Now why would you do this? Post this guitar and now I’m drooling over it over here....

My ideal Ibanez is the RG shape, floating Trem, HH, the newer satin wood top look, but a neck that’s closer to a modern, moderately thick, Strat.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Oh nice! That yellow guitar started it all for me collecting wise. As a kid I had a guitar or two and traded up to get something nicer. I had two Charvel guitars (which I still have) when I was able to acquire that Ibanez. I was in love with that guitar. I played it a lot back then and really enjoyed it. I remember being conflicted at the time over a custom Jackson (the struggle was real...lol) as I wanted to keep the Ibanez but I sure wanted a Jackson. I saw the neon colors going away and made the decision to sell the Ibanez to a friend (who still has it to this day) and so I sold it on the hunt for my first Jackson. I wouldn't mind having one again. Case not included????
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I've had multiple RGs and JEMs with both neck joints, the rootbeer JEM in my avatar was my favorite. Had to sell it to pay rent a few years ago, it's irreplaceable now, well, unless I want to spend ridiculous $ on a beat to crap one, on the rare occasion they show up, they were more of a proto than full production run.

Anyway, I never really noticed the block joint on those, it's pretty out of the way. I currently have a RG655 with the AANJ, and they are nice too, but I'm fine with either. Not sure about the neck thickness on the new 550s, but the neck on the 655 is crazy thin, I'm getting used to it, but would be nice if it had a little more to it, it's 17mm (.67"), the new JEMs/Pias have thicker necks, but if I'm paying that kind of $ it's probably going to say Anderson on the headstock.

Comment

Whether the square heel or aanj is better is hard to say, you'd have to play a bunch of guitars with both types and decide. Some folk do feel the square heel is better because the surface area of the neck/body joint is bigger but what that translates to how you hear the sound might be subjective.

There are some differences between the original 550s and the Genesis, fwiw.

The neck of the Genesis is 5 pc laminated and has a volute, with the nut screwed in from the top; this is arguably better than the old ones, many of which nowadays have cracks by the locking nut bolts (something to look for if considering an old one), there's not a whole lot of wood there (ever seen a broken Wizard neck?), and over tightening the bolts or stress to the area can cause the fracture. The originals had a shorter neck tenon and a fingerboard extension for frets 21-24, while the Genesis has the neck tenon going all the way to the neck pu.

The humbuckers on the Genesis are V7/8, which have featured on Japanese RGs for a long time now; the original guitars had V1/2.

The lack of case keeps the price down. It's a pretty good deal – you get an updated reissue of the flagship model which has all the desired features (LOOK AT ME colours, Edge trem, Wizard neck), made in Japan, for 1k.

If I was looking to buy one, I'd probably go for a newer one, mainly because of the neck being built to mitigate the problems the old ones had. The old ones can still be bought for reasonable prices, depending on where you look (stuff on Reverb does tend to be more expensive, imo). Having a new production run also probably helps the prices on the old ones from going completely out of control.
                Originally posted by dominus
                Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon View Post
                  Have we talked about this?
                  Yes . . . but it's worth another conversation.

I wonder if my MIJ RG, (early '80's), is in this class of value?

Click image for larger version

Name:	My_Ibby_02_sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	6059362

Comment

^^ Huh, you don't see those very often. Japan only RG670, eh? I believe the little toggle is Ibanez's version of the 'blower' circuit, and one of the coolest colour schemes they did back in the day. Idk why they appear in the 1989 catalogue when they have 1987 serial numbers . Well, it's impossible to know fully know what they were doing that year - no proper catalogue, and all sorts of guitars which seem to have a mix of older and new features. I saw one with a humbucker and a slanted single in the neck recently which doesn't seem to be in any catalogue.

Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I wonder if my MIJ RG, (early '80's), is in this class of value?
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	My_Ibby_02_sm.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	6059362
                      That's a rare color on that model. Usually reserved for S models, SA's and the Saber family. Sold only in Japan according to the Ibanez Wiki.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                        ^^ Huh, you don't see those very often. Japan only RG670, eh? I believe the little toggle is Ibanez's version of the 'blower' circuit, and one of the coolest colour schemes they did back in the day.
                        Yup. The toggle is a "blower" that bypasses everything else. Also, the tone is a push-pull that splits the bridge. This thing sounds killer for being stock Ibby pups. Maybe they did them better back then.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        That's a rare color on that model. Usually reserved for S models, SA's and the Saber family. Sold only in Japan according to the Ibanez Wiki.
                        Yeah, and it's a darn shame about the chips. I don't think it's "playing" wear. I believe that wear comes from bouncing around in the back of a mini-van. (The case is mine.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Yup. The toggle is a "blower" that bypasses everything else. Also, the tone is a push-pull that splits the bridge. This thing sounds killer for being stock Ibby pups. Maybe they did them better back then.
                          From what I remember, the single coils in this model are meant to be the same as S1 - a hot A5; the bucker (Vintage II), I don't know. In general, the mid tier OEM Ibanez pickups are ok, and a bit of tweaking can make them better. With the V7/8 set, some recommend swapping the magnets around (stock is neck ceramic, bridge A5).

Would be nice if they brought that colour scheme back. The Radius models had variants with blue/black and red/black too, very cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                            ^^ Huh, you don't see those very often. Japan only RG670, eh? I believe the little toggle is Ibanez's version of the 'blower' circuit, and one of the coolest colour schemes they did back in the day. Idk why they appear in the 1989 catalogue when they have 1987 serial numbers . Well, it's impossible to know fully know what they were doing that year - no proper catalogue, and all sorts of guitars which seem to have a mix of older and new features. I saw one with a humbucker and a slanted single in the neck recently which doesn't seem to be in any catalogue.
                            That thing doesn't resemble an RG in any way. It looks like a slightly pointy Sabre or Radius shape. I looked it up on Wikifandom and RG670 was in a regular/ pointy Strat shape.https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG670_(1993%E2%80%931997)

This one looks more like a mutt with amateur refinish done in a few hours.

Can we see some evidence that supports any claim that this is an RG?

Comment

there is an older rg670 model. not sure why ibanez used the same model name for a different guitar

https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/RG670_(1989)

Comment

Working...
                              X