Bridge Pickup Noise Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pickup Noise Diagnosis

I've got a 2003 Epi Les Paul that I use as my main guitar. I put a Pegasus/Sentient set in it, with a 3 way toggle and one volume control. It's never really given me any problems, but 2 practices ago it suddenly got very noisy on the bridge pickup. If I touch the height adjusting screw, the noise goes away. I'm fairly green at guitar wiring, but I would like to diagnose and fix this problem myself, as I really don't have a reputable tech anywhere nearby anyways. Can someone point me in the right direction as to how I should go about taking care of this?
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Art
    Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Pegasus/Sentient Set

I'd check the polarities. SD has reverde color coding: black is hot green is ground. I usually forget this and get similar issues. Though last time the height adjustment crew was humming I touched, not thenother way around. Wortth a check anyways

Comment

if it was working fine for a while and then got noisy, check your ground wires. its the tone the same just noisy? check the bare ground wire

Comment

No coil splitting?
        just the 3 way toggle?
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

When I got home from work today I pulled it out and plugged it in. Now that I'm hearing it on it's own I'm noticing the noise in all positions, but it seems more predominant on the bridge pickup. I also noted that it goes away if I touch any of the metal parts on my guitar, tuners, strings, bridge etc.

I haven't noticed a difference in tone.

No coil splitting, just the 3 way toggle.

Comment

Cold solder on grounds
            heat until it reflows and should be good
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Alright, just went through and heated solder on all grounds until it reflowed. Still noisy unless I touch the strings, tuners, bridge, etc. Any other ideas? Is there a way to diagnose which wires are the problem wires?

Comment

Maybe the baseplate/bare ground has lost contact?

Comment

Just wanted to update this. Appears something was wrong with the volume pot. I took it out and put in a different one, and the problem went away.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

glad you got it sorted out!

Comment

Working...
                    X