X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birdman642
    replied
    Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    Get a radius block, a half round crowning file, and a quarter round file for the ends. Then practice on some cheap necks. Not relevant to the frets, but you will probably also need files to set the height at the nut as well. Those are all the major tools. Then there's sandpaper which is cheap. I use rough for the radius block to level, 60 or 80. Then my crowning file is 150. Then I keep on hand 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and will maybe use half of them in the process of a fret. For example after it's at 150 from my crowning file I'll use 220, 320, 800, 1000, 2000.
    how would the radius block work on something with a compound radius?
    as far as the nut goes, will I have to remove it and redo the height on it?

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied
    Get a radius block, a half round crowning file, and a quarter round file for the ends. Then practice on some cheap necks. Not relevant to the frets, but you will probably also need files to set the height at the nut as well. Those are all the major tools. Then there's sandpaper which is cheap. I use rough for the radius block to level, 60 or 80. Then my crowning file is 150. Then I keep on hand 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, and 2000 and will maybe use half of them in the process of a fret. For example after it's at 150 from my crowning file I'll use 220, 320, 800, 1000, 2000.

This guy's video is the best I've seen. It's long so you can put it on 2x speed and skip through it for the rough overview then stop at parts that you want to learn. The only part where I improve on him is he sands the frets by hand with 320 when all you need to do is stick the sandpaper in your crowning file. I hope all this made sense.

Taking the fret level processes to a new level. Using RARE techniques that make the old fret level obsolete.Also showing how I round the fret ends into sphe...
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Birdman642
    started a topic DIY Fret leveling advice

DIY Fret leveling advice

I have a guitar I’m putting together. It all feels solid, however the frets buzz like crazy and I have a decent amount of relief on the neck.
    I’m wondering if a fret leveling would be in order. I’m considering doing this job myself, does anyone have any advice on the best ways to go about this? I’ve never done a leveling job or any kind of fretwork, so anything would be appreciated.
Working...
X