DIY Fret leveling advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    If you use a flat device to level a straight radius neck, you're imposing your guess on what the radius is. Whereas if you use a radius block, it results in a perfect radius, and requires less work because it covers the entire horizontal area at once. But I guess you're entitled to create more work and poorer results for yourself if you want. Have fun.
    You are just wrong. The biggest factor to success is the length of the leveling beam.

If you can find a radius block that is the entire length of the neck (or near), it would be something to consider. Most radius blocks are quite short. You want the frets to be level, and you accomplish this by uniform removing of material. A shorter beam or block compromises the results.

Until you can get your mind around this, you need to stop giving advice on fret leveling. Also ask yourself, why your advice is different than everyone elses?

Comment

It doesn't compromise the results because buzz is only caused by frets adjacent to each other. It's physically impossible for frets outside the length of a foot long radius block to cause buzz. In addition, you don't level the entire thing, fret 1 to fret 21, relative to each other. After you have it flat, you have to go back in and put in some fallaway at the heel starting at about fret 14 or 15 because the bow isn't effective there. However, guessing on the radius of the neck does compromise the results. My entire collection of guitars plays perfectly, with rounded ends. How about you give it a rest.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        If you use a flat device to level a straight radius neck, you're imposing your guess on what the radius is. Whereas if you use a radius block, it results in a perfect radius, and requires less work because it covers the entire horizontal area at once. But I guess you're entitled to create more work and poorer results for yourself if you want. Have fun.
        FWIW -

I think all my guitars are compound radius now. You're imposing your guess what the radius is no matter what device you use to level 'em. I agree that it's probably slightly easier to use a radius block if you've got a straight radius up and down the neck.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
        X