1st World Strat Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st World Strat Problem

Bit of a dilemma, and yes I totally understood this is a first world problem.

I have multiple S/S/S s-style guitars. Each with their own sounds. One if ultra traditional 50's strat-like, another has 60s tone + a humbucker bridge, another for more Pink Floyd-type sounds. My main strat which I play most often has some custom-wounds I got a few years ago. It sounds great but very p90 like. Not enough spank and transparency for my liking, especially the neck. When I gigged it was great because of the extra mids, but now that I don't gig and listen to it in a home studio I miss that attack and definition. It kinda sounds like Gilmour with a mid boost.

Question is: since it sounds different should I just keep it that way, since other guitars fill that void? Or buy new pickups (in which case all my strats will sound similar)?
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Leave them.

Comment

yeah, leave em. im all about new pups. hell, i now have five pick guards wired up for one guitar, but if you already have a vintagey sounding strat for those tones makes sense to keep this one as it is

Comment

Up the pots to see how much glass you can bring out.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

50's strat is one thing. A strat with p90ish overwound pickups is another thing - and you say you like gigging it. I say keep both of those.

Pink Floyd sounds are pretty much just a low wind neck and middle with a high output bridge . . . which I'd figure is probably pretty damned close to 60's pickups with a humbucker in the bridge. For me, one of these two guitars would probably be on the way out. Very, very similar sounds between the two.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I say, wire up a pickguard with a Molex connector so you can swap them out without soldering. Switch them out as you see fit.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd leave them and play the guitars that are giving you what you want currently. What's the point in making them all sound similar? You'll find a use for it again.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
              http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
              X